Converting XX1 to 22 speed, possible?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TripseV

by TripseV

I haven't been able to find any information on this.

Has anyone been able to do it?

XX1 Chain, Rear mech, Cassette

w/ XX Crank, chainrings, and Front mech

I can see the problem of the thinner chain on the thicker chainrings, but surely you could get away with that.
Pain is your friend - http://www.bigringriding.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

XX1 rear derailleur wont work with 2x front rings.
the rest probably works.. (ie cassette/chain granted that you add links to that chain)

njee20

by njee20

Yep, if you can live with having a very slack chain in the inner ring at the bottom of the block (or tearing your mech in half if you go big/big) then it will probably work.

Why though...?

Krackor

by Krackor

The offset-mounted upper pulley on XX1 derailleur is designed to maintain correct distance from the cassette cogs given a fixed front ring size. If you set it up with 2x front rings, and make initial adjustments for the big ring, when you shift to the small ring the derailleur will go into the cogs and get destroyed. If you set it up for the small ring, shifting to the big ring will leave too much distance to the cogs for very poor shifting, and the additional tooth capacity may stretch the derailleur beyond its limits and destroy the RD and chain.

Sram's official stance is that X-horizon derailleurs are not compatible with anything other than single ring setups, full stop. That's not the typical "you can probably get away with it after some fiddling, but just to cover our butts we don't officially support it"; it's a "it was never intended to be used this way and it will break your bike".

Getter

by Getter

I would just go XTR m9000.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Given the extra gear range is (to me) rather unnecessary I'd just stick with a quality 2x10 which will give you closer ratio's than an 11 speed as an added bonus.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I agree with the other comments that is all a bit pointless to try and convert XX1 to 2x11. XX1 is a very specialized group with a unique RD as Krackor notes. Just stick with 2x10 or pony up for XTR m9000 2x11.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com