My Jamis Nemesis Team

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I got this bike recently and it is my first mtn bike in a long long time. It was just under 20 pounds out of the box. Im sure a little more now that it has pedals and cages. What do you think? Any tips to lighten it?
Attachments
IMG_7679.jpg
IMG_7681.jpg
IMG_7678.jpg
IMG_7692.jpg
IMG_7682.jpg
IMG_7676.jpg

wingman

by wingman

:D pro bike from a pro. my bad. nice bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I agree, this is a cool bike 'as is'.
But before we start throwing out ideas to lighten it up further, the opening question should be:
What are you allowed to change without making waves with road team sponsors? (Jamis, Shimano, Ritchey, Fizik)
If you have to stay with certain brands/manufacturers, then the advice can be filtered better.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

You can suggest away since I am pro on the road and not mtn so I can do whatever I want to this bike. Plus I just retired from cycling last month. This and my road bike are my retirement bikes.
Thanks bro!

Stolichnaya wrote:I agree, this is a cool bike 'as is'.
But before we start throwing out ideas to lighten it up further, the opening question should be:
What are you allowed to change without making waves with road team sponsors? (Jamis, Shimano, Ritchey, Fizik)
If you have to stay with certain brands/manufacturers, then the advice can be filtered better.

barrysvt

by barrysvt

ok........

I'll start with the obvious stuff. Trim the steerer tube and lose the spacers, get a light weight topcap and expander. (I like the Extralite Ultrastar) I would suggest you consider different grips, the lock-ons are heavy, take a look at the ESI RacersEdge.
Trim your cables to minimum lengths. Do you really need the remote lock out control?

I know position is a highly personal thing, but something "looks" funky with your stem/handlebar combo. Is that a negative rise stem with riser bars? Others here can suggest many combinations and brands, I would suggest matching your stem and seatpost. A white Ritchey seatpost to match the stem would be swanky. Hard to tell if your on a carbon seatpost, again many here can suggest brands, especially at the length you need here. Same with your bars, I cannot tell if you have carbon or alloy....... If your going to take a look at your position you may be fine with something a shade narrower. Your road bike's bars should give you a good reference point for a width your comfortable with. WTB saddle, kinda heavy. Why not ride the same or near similar to your road bike preference? (I'd stay away from carbon rails on the mtb)

Drivetain and brakes........pretty much the sky and your pocketbook are the limits.....It looks like your fairly dialed in. A healthy dose of bolt tuning is recommend. Are your brake rotors 6-bolts? -a lot of guys use (3) ti bolts, get the Torx head type.

Tires........personal preference and condition specific. I've jumped on the Schwalbe ThunderBurt wagon.

Put a sticker with your name on it.
Have fun.
1956 Rudge Sport
1994 Carbonframes Tetra Pro
(re-branded to Calfee 2006)
2010 Trek Top Fuel
2015 Velovie Vetta
2020 OPEN WI.DE.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks bro. I am going to get on it. Now I'm off to look for a job!

boots2000

by boots2000

So you did get the 650b?

drider85

by drider85

Those tires are quite heavy. Listed at 630g each. Maxxis Crossmax or Schwalbee RR are both about 100g lighter per tire. C260 stem to match and roll the bars back a bit if they are a big sweeping flat bar.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks, the tires seem very wide compared to the other people I ride with also. I think I will get a totally flat bar. This one is carbon though and very light. Its the nice Ritchey one, WCS I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com