Lefty PBR or XLR and comparative weights/ function?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

I currently have a Lefty XLR carbon at 1260g (without steerer). It is due for a service soon and I noticed that the XLR top assembly can be changed for a PBR assembly (and it appears pretty cheap and easy to do). It makes sense to include the cost of purchasing the parts when also sending away the fork for a service.

So, a few questions:

1. Function-wise what do you weenies prefer? XLR or PBR? I've enjoyed the XLR and use it a little but not a ton. The main attraction for me is losing the cable and having cleaner bars but has anyone done it and really missed the bar remote to activate the lockout?

2. Weight-wise how much can I expect to lose if going to PBR? I haven't seen conclusive weights but it looks like a 60-70g saving. Not significant but possibly a nice side bonus.

3. Am I underestimating the cost and difficulty of swapping the XLR parts out for the PBR push button assembly?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :beerchug:

Jaker

by Jaker

I know Craig at Mendon Cycle Smith will do the conversion as part of a regular service for no extra charge (except the parts themselves), but it does involve disassembly of the damper cartridge, and that's not something to be taken lightly - special tools involved, etc... He also mentions that the PBR mechanism is simpler and therefore more reliable. I think he told me it's about 50g lighter. I held out for a PBR model. I just happened to grab one that had been recently serviced by Craig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxle

by maxle

Hey guys,

if you have the possibility to weight an "old" 26er Lefty PBR 100mm cartridge PLEASE let me know. (It would be great without Solo Air, Split Rings, Dials/Knobs, otherwise i need a pic of your Solo Air! )
Thank you !
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Having a PBR on both my 26ers and now the XLR on my Scalpel 29er, I have no doubt the slight weight penalty of the XLR is well worth it for he functionality.

I wish my Scalpel had one for the rear!

Also, the XLR doesnt; get affected by water getting into the works, causing corrosion and stiction that you get with the PBR. The PBR on my 26er HT is now stuck and won't lock out. Better than the reverse I suppose, but annoying nonetheless.

DanW

by DanW

That sounds fair enough. I stuck with the XLR for similar functional reasons in the end