What rotors for my new XTR brakes ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

muntos

by muntos

Ufff, didn't think it would be such a hard decission :-(
My problem with the Shimano rotors, beside their weight, is that I don't like the look and the other, if I decided to buy their top brakes, why they don't offer also their top rotor (XTR) for 6 holes?
The Formula rotors (2 piece version), contrary of what someone said here before, are among the expensive rotors and the don't even come with some bolts included! Beside this, it seems that they don't stay true :-(
Hope X2 race is interesting but unfortunatelly they don't offer a 180 mm, and at my 85kg weight I think isn't a good idea dropping to 160mm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Get the Hope floater instead, not *that* much heavier.

DanW

by DanW

Hope X2 race is interesting but unfortunately they don't offer a 180 mm, and at my 85kg weight I think isn't a good idea dropping to 160mm

I am 80kg before kit and ride 160/140mm rotors on XTR brakes for the big descents of South Wales and beyond. The rotor size isn't for WW reasons, but more that the XTR brakes are so powerful and handle heat so well (especially in conjunction with the Hope X2 Race rotors) that there is absolutely no need for bigger. I think rotor size is a mental thing for most people, especially if you have had poorer performing brakes in the past which do genuinely benefit from bigger rotors. I realise not everyone is the same but that would be my take on it all.

if I decided to buy their top brakes, why they don't offer also their top rotor (XTR) for 6 holes

Probably trying to protect sales of their centrelock hubs?

AdyM

by AdyM

KCNC razor rotors on R2 bike are quite good value. I have them 160F/R on one of my bikes and the braking performance is top notch, although it's mainly flat XC so who needs brakes anyway!?

Have you looked at QUAXAR, they have light weight flat and floating rotors that seem highly regarded too.

muntos

by muntos

Quaxar don't know what to say, but KCNC looks good, now I've ordered a Hope X2 Race rotor to try it on my front, will see how it behaves, if not as expected then the KCNC might be an alternative. Thanks !

DanW

by DanW

Quaxar are awful! I used them over the Summer, the went out of true quickly, the braking surface got destroyed after one slightly damp Summer ride and the braking was never smooth or powerful even when dry (compared to KCNC or Hope). I rode them for a couple of hundred km then threw them away.

Edit: Relates to the ultralite rotors which I assumed the poster meant
Last edited by DanW on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Getter

by Getter

Quaxar looks just like the Ashima?

AdyM

by AdyM

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=299
Quaxar floating 70g 160mm

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=297
Quaxar flat - 67g 160mm

But yeah they do look quite a lot like ashima

njee20

by njee20

I had KCNC Razors with my XTRs, and did find power was lacking a bit. Refitted an Avid G3 on the front and haven't got around to trying any other lightweight solutions! The Quaxar ones look good, tempted to try one of those. Find the Razor fine on the rear.

Getter

by Getter

I'm running the Ai2's with XT brakes on my hard tail 29er...and they do not stop nearly as well as the XT RT-86 I had. Heck the Alligators on my girlfriend's Niner stops better than the Ai2.

I'm about 150lbs with my hydration pack. They are adequate for most XC riding. I run the RT-86 on my trail bike...there is no way I'd trust the Ai2 doing resort/shutte riding.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

I'm looking at getting some of the Hope X2 Saw rotors to go on the Light Bicycles + Hope wheel build I'm working on for my Cannondale Scalpel 29r

I have seen some comment that they are not compatible with current model year Shimano brakes. I have M785s.

Is this correct? :noidea:

Was hoping to get something lighter than Ice Tech rotors without sacrificing braking power.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

They have been known to cause clearance issues and the rivets to hit the calliper, yes.

Have a look at the A2Z Teppan Yaki floating, I have no clearnace issue on my slightly older XT's
http://a2zcomponents.com/02products_02teppan.html
I have the spades with centre spider, 89g for 160mm and stops as well as the previous Avid disc I was using/
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

mattr

by mattr

They touch slightly (usually only the thickness of a layer of paint)

Had to "modify" my wifes SLX calipers, just touched them with a file, no issues since.
I've heard that some forks can also have clearance issues when paired with certain hubs as well.

Getter

by Getter

"Teppan Yaki" :mrgreen:

gfeldy

by gfeldy

I've been using the Formula rotors with my XTR 9000's for a while now. They seem to work just as well as the XTR rotors and sound cool while riding the brakes at high speed.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com