Tuning v brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Hi everyone! I'm currently upgrading my NS Capital (don't know if anyone here is into street riding), and I would like some tips on how to shave weight of my Avid Single Digit SL brakes. At first I was looking into buying some Extralites, but the brake position on the frame is rather weird, and I'm afraid the Extralites will crash with my crank arms when pedaling. I can post a picture which explains what I mean, if anyone is interested.

My questions are therefor as following:
• How light can the Single Digit SL get? (Think I saw one at right over 100 grams on here, but can't seem to find it)
• What parts should I get, and where is a good place to get them?
• Should I use Ti bolts everywhere, or will aluminium bolts be strong enough for some parts?

I'm new here, so please bear with me if this has been discussed many times before. I couldn't easily find it through google, so that's why I'm asking. Hope some of you will be able to help.

silver

by silver

I am not an expert of street riding but years back one guy bought my Single Digit Ultimate brakes for his street bike and claimed that they are the best for stopping power. If you are only looking to save weight, those are probably not an option as they weigh a bit more than SL-s untuned. For street riding I would opt for titanium hardware.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thank you for the answer. The Ultimates looks much better, but do you know if they use Ti hardware? If they don't, I suppose one might be able to shave the weight down, so they weight the same as the SL? Or are the brake arms simply heavier?

Any suggestions for really light brake pads? And where I could get them?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Also, what is the difference between 1.00, 1.25 and 1.50 pitch pivots? Does it have anything with the bolt threads to do?

silver

by silver

Ti hardware - not to my knowledge. So you should be able to tune them.

dogg

by dogg

you can get ti hardware from toronto cycles.

altho id imagine alloy bolts would suffice for the mounts but id want ti for the cable anchor.

and you could always just go brakeless if its a street/park bike, maximum lightness!

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Or just try to find old avid Mag. Looks beauty and are very stiff.

https://www.google.pl/search?q=avid+mag ... 80&bih=923

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As the force on the brake arms will be in the direction of pushing them off the post, not sure I'd go with alloy for the pivot bolt!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I'm going with Ti pivots. Just need to be sure which pitch I have. Is the pitch the distance between the threads?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have used alloy pivot bolts on canti brakes for a while now. Given canti's can be set up to give high braking forces you might be O.K with alloy pivots bolts.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Yeah... But mine sit underneath the seatstay, so I'm going with Ti pivots. But my question concerning pitch numbers still stand. Anyone who can answer this question?

mattr

by mattr

mattyNor

by mattyNor

What are the other specs, those sound like lengths to me.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Found out about the pitch length. As I thought, it is the distance between the threads. That might be what your link describes, but haven't checked it out yet, since I found about it. Thanks anyways.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Long time since I've posted anything here. But I'm wondering how to remove the brake pad from the brake shoes? Ordered Ti brake post studs now, but can't remove the little metal pin from my avid brake shoes (which I guess is the part that prevents the pad from sliding off the brake shoe). Do I have to cut it off? If so, what should I use when mounting the pad back on the shoe?

Anyone who have (or knows) a v-brake tuning guide of some sort?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com