29er high front end question

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

If you change the steerer, you could choose any stem you want eg:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I thought about that...what all do I need to get to install a standard steerer? Have a link to the parts?
to go faster....just pedal harder!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Project321 makes one, Cannondale does too. Seem to recall someone makes a lightweight one as well.
http://www.project321.com/products_bike ... teerer.php
here's the lightweight link
http://hellore.se/experimentalprototype/?page_id=15

I've used the Project321 one to convert a regular headtube for use with a Lefty. Link above will take you to the tube for the Cannondale frame to 1.125" tube. It'll come with what you need. Measure, test, cut and add stem.
adrenaline junkie

jooo

by jooo

Mcfk too...

stuka666

by stuka666

Know a few guys with the mcfk one, no problems so far.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

cool.....thanks for the info!!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

what about weights? How does the Project321 steerer weight compare to the opi steerer weight?

jimborello

by jimborello

It seems like a common problem with Cannondales. On my 29er I use a syntace flat force and a Vector Low 10 and that does the job.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

cyclemanpat wrote:I heard a few pro's have their lefty fork down to 70mm....is that a option for us "non-pro's"?? if yes how would I get the proper spacer?

Yes I believe a few of the Cannondale Factory race team boys run them below 100mm, in fact if I remember correctly my buddy Anton Cooper runs it at 80mm
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

jooo

by jooo

BikeRadar's Pro bike reported that Fontana and Cooper both had forks reduced to 70mm travel for the F29.

BikeRadar's more recent Pro bike reported that Cooper is back to running 100mm travel with the new frames.

The HT on a small F-Si is now 37mm shorter than on the previous F29 which helps make up the difference.

DanW

by DanW

Since reducing the travel on a Lefty doesn't reduce the AC height I guessing that this means the example pros above were actually using a 26 inch wheel, 100mm Lefty (i.e. the 475mm AC height version) but reduced the travel to sub 80mm to ensure the 29er wheel doesn't hit the crown... ????????

On the Lefty steerer topic, I have the Cannondale Lefty For All steerer (£50 from TF Tuned) which is 195g (cut, with all hardware). I felt this was a better cost/ weight ration than the other options but would happily buy an MCFK or EP carbon steerer if I had the pennies

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

can u send me the link for the... Cannondale Lefty For All steerer? I can t find it?

nevermind...I found it

DanW

by DanW

Should have added too that if you have a Cannondale frame (1.5 straight headtube) then you'll need an adapter for the upper race if using the Cannondale Lefty for All steerer I mentioned. It ships with an adapter for the lower race to be flexible between straight 1,1/8 and tapered headtubes and is more designed for fitting a Lefty to a non-Cannondale frame I think. I'm fairly sure P321 and Leonardi make steerers to fit a Cannondale headtube and a normal 1,1/8 stem without adapters although I may be mistaken on this.

Personally I prefer a third party steerer and "normal" stem on a Lefty mainly because the OPI stem/ steerer is such a massive PITA to get seated correctly when installing and takes a little while and a good few hits with a rubber ended mallet to remove too- not ideal when I have to travel with my bike a lot and like to switch between rigid forks and the Lefty (unusual I know!). Even without the travel and fork changes the Cannondale headset bearings need a frequent clean and regrease here in the UK otherwise they don't last very long so frequent fork removal was still required which is a bit too much hassle for my liking with the OPI