help withretrofitting an older mtn bike with new components.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

i mainly ride road bikes, so when it comes to mtn bikes, i'm like 10 years behind in what's current. i plan to use the mtn bike for some off road, but mainly as
a XC ride.

i'd like to upgrade components to newer ones on my current Litespeed Ti frame...and would like to do the following...

1. go single crank front
2. need new brakes, can go disc and thinking about Enve XC wheels
3. have Lefty carbon fork, so that will go on with Project 321 adapter
4. need new shifters, probably 10 speed all i need as far as range...maybe 34T front and 11-38 rear?
5. have Enve seat post, straight handlebar already.
6. have Chris King headset that will fit Lefty/P321 adapter
7. want to go tubeless, get Stan's tubeless kit?

thx for any recommendations.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

That sounds like a wild ride.
Since a lot of us here are visual, post some pics of the current bike set up so the recommendations can flow better.
Assumption is that this is a 26" build, but wonder if 650b would fit in the frame without altering the geo to badly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

First thing make sure the new fork isn't terribly longer than what the frame was built for. Too long a fork can really ruin the handling, all the more for XC application.

kode54

by kode54

thx. i'm assuming that all Lefty forks can be adjusted via spacers, so anything can actually fit. so if i stayed with a 26" rear, theoretically, i can fit a 29r up front...odd as it seems.

it was a 26 and not certain a 650B can fit. also, i bought the adapter from Litespeed that allows you to put a rear disc brake in back.

the drive train is old...at least 14 yrs old...so its a 9 speed cassette. not sure if i will go Di2 since its not what i ride all the time...maybe nows the time to buy this years or last XTR on the cheap. if that's the case, rear shifter, hydraulic disc brakes, 1x10 set up. will take pictures.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Putting a 29er wheel in front will add (622-559)/2 = 15.75mm of extra height, assuming you keep the same fork travel. That's probably as much as you can safely add, beyond 2-3cm bets are off. That's not to say some people don't go further, and aren't boasting how "slack" their headtube angles are, but again, for XC riding you want quick handling. Be aware that going 650b would also rise the BB, which again influences handling. Nowadays' bigger tyres add another cm or so. Again, not saying it hasn't been done, or I haven't been playing with it. Just things to consider before pouring money into an older frame project.

Don't read that as discouragement, though. Some Lefty mods on non-Cannondale frames look absolutely spectacular. Just make sure get the an enjoyable ride out of it.

kode54

by kode54

HillRPete wrote:Putting a 29er wheel in front will add (622-559)/2 = 15.75mm of extra height, assuming you keep the same fork travel. That's probably as much as you can safely add, beyond 2-3cm bets are off. That's not to say some people don't go further, and aren't boasting how "slack" their headtube angles are, but again, for XC riding you want quick handling. Be aware that going 650b would also rise the BB, which again influences handling. Nowadays' bigger tyres add another cm or so. Again, not saying it hasn't been done, or I haven't been playing with it. Just things to consider before pouring money into an older frame project.

Don't read that as discouragement, though. Some Lefty mods on non-Cannondale frames look absolutely spectacular. Just make sure get the an enjoyable ride out of it.

appreciate the info. i lived in the 26" world...and 650B and 29" is a whole new universe.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com