Lightest 26" wheel set

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

seismic

by seismic

Hi Guys,

I am currently running ENVE rims with Project321 hubs. Not happy with the weight and therefore looking for something lighter (I am trying to put together a WW bike). I have been talking with AX Lightness, but unfortunately they currently only sell the SRT CC rims with either Tune, Extralite or DT hubs. As I do not like these hub solutions, I am looking for input on alternatives. For reference, we are talking about a sub 1000g wheel set. Budget is no subject. Hope for some valid input :D

Thank you

Brgds
seismic

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Assuming the rims are 230g each, and spokes + nipples around 200g you only have 340g for hubs. There are not many hubsets less than 340g for mtb disc. Extralite, Tune, Carbon-ti and POP are those that comes to mind.

I would go for the AX wheelset with Tune hubs :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njee20

by njee20

Ole of this forum built some 958g carbon clinchers here, Innolite XCC250s, Extralite hubs, a few years old now, but nothing really springs to mind that's lighter. 259g for the hubs, 480g for the rims, so you could go c17g lighter with Hyperlite hubs.

Innolite have dropped their 26" rim though, so you'd have to find an alternative. Even using Podium MMXs I reckon you could get close to a kilo.

seismic

by seismic

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I know it is difficult to get 26" and get to sub 1000g. Do anyone have any idea if the Extralite Hyperhubs will actually be able to hold up?

njee20

by njee20

No idea. Personally I'd trade a bit of weight for durability - DT 180s or something that I'd have more faith in. Depends if you want to ride it, or hang it on the scales!

seismic

by seismic

Well, I ride my bike. In the beginning, my plan was to buy AX Lightness SRT CC rims and build them up with CK in order to have a light and still durable wheel set. Since AX Lightness does not want to sell the rims only anymore, but only wheel sets with either DT, Tune or Extralite - the CK option went out the window.....I don't like DT, so the main reason for the original post was also so find out if i have any alternatives.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One option would be DT Swiss XR300 carbon rims (300g each for a clincher), 28 spoke DT Swiss 240 straight pull hubs, CX-Ray spokes/alloy nips

Weight 1215g to get lighter you need to scimp on rim weight as the spokes/nipples alone are 257g. The DT Swiss 180 hubs might be a bit lighter but 200g rims are needed and even FRM do not make them that light.

Ti spokes will help and so would the sapim super spoke. FRM make some very light disc brake hubs but without sub 250g rims I don't think the goal is possible.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Aren't those the DT rims that aren't tubeless compatible? If so, I'd give them a miss.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not offically tubeless compatible but I do not know if they can be made to work.

Extralite hubs a 242g for a pair. With the 28H DT Swiss rims and sapim laser spokes/alloy nipples weight is down to 1099g.

Ryde did some light weight sub 300g alloy clinchers but ditched last year. I forget what they were called. With those you would hit 1000g. Rims are 32H drilling and if built with laser would be super flexy and unusable.

There you go you have a rim to find for a wheelset that you cannot use with any conviction.

A search for 26" carbon rim that are 300g has drawn a blank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com