ShiftUp Ultralight Cartridges

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Has anyone used or have any experience with the shiftup ultralight cartridges? I found they are now making one for magura but i cant seem to find any information on it at all. I know they have been making the sid version for some time now. I have a '09 magura durin sl.

http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... e8dbe0c541

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Nice! Let us know how it performs when you get one.

DanW

by DanW

Nice! That and the electronic lockout cartridges look interesting for Magura fork users. I have just switched to a Lefty so will be getting rid of mine soon unfortunately

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Sadly my fork is a '09 so i wont be able to use the electronic lock out.
the shift up kit has a lock out lever so it is possible to have a remote lockout added since the crown on my fork has a cable stop for it. i could get the carbon lockout lever from bk composites. but ive been riding so long without a lockout now that i don't know if its necessary, cool though.

DanW

by DanW

I would agree the Durin (and latest renamed version of the same fork) doesn't need a lockout. I haven't ever used mine as the damping is very well suited to XC riding racing unlike the constantly diving (or poor on the small stuff if the diving was eliminated) Fox Forks I replaced them with. It would be interesting to know how these cartridges work...

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Dulight said the weight savings for a durin sl are minimal and the page says only 42g for ts8sl's

DanW

by DanW

Still puts it around 1200-1250g (depending on steerer length and normal weight variation) which is damn light for such a stiff and reliable fork :D

Benno

by Benno

DanW wrote:I would agree the Durin (and latest renamed version of the same fork) doesn't need a lockout. I haven't ever used mine as the damping is very well suited to XC riding racing unlike the constantly diving (or poor on the small stuff if the diving was eliminated) Fox Forks I replaced them with. It would be interesting to know how these cartridges work...

What he said

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Anyone tried these yet?

facelessfools

by facelessfools

I may order one of these soon and link it with a bk lock out lever.

it would be a cool addition to the bike and the set up would still weigh less than the stock set up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

facelessfools

by facelessfools

So I ended up replacing my fork with the newer ts8sl but seized the dampener in it after a handful of rides... did a small drop and herd a large clunk which i was worried was my bike but turns out to be the fork. which would no longer compress. so I put my older durin sl on and within a few rides it did the same! but in its defense is an '09. so with one at warranty and the other not eligible i ordered the shift up. initial impression is good. it feels smooth and at a good setting for riding. as for weight i weighed the cartridges but since my broken one has no oil in it i cant say for sure how much it is less but it does eliminate some other hardware from the fork. the lockout... is dumb... it requires 360deg of rotation to fully lock out the fork making it not practical.
I'll post up how it feels once i get dome rides in.