Lefty axle to crown reducer

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I guess to answer my question I need to think about Freehub width. Is the width of a 10sp freehub wider than a 9sp? and from 11sp wider than a 10sp? (I guess it needs to be to accommodate more cogs)?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Freehub width is not that relevant. The different systems use different pull ratios. The 9 speed SRAM rear pulled more than the Shimano rear and they both pulled more than the front (which both fronts pulled about the same) I know that Shimano went to pulling more cable on their latest systems because the longer pull works better when it gets dirty (that is why many preferred SRAM over the years) I also think that SRAM changed their pull on the 11 speed stuff since the rear derailleurs are not interchangeable.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Sram 11sp is definitely out my price range for a testing only purpose. Thanks again!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

yourdaguy wrote:Freehub width is not that relevant. The different systems use different pull ratios. The 9 speed SRAM rear pulled more than the Shimano rear and they both pulled more than the front (which both fronts pulled about the same) I know that Shimano went to pulling more cable on their latest systems because the longer pull works better when it gets dirty (that is why many preferred SRAM over the years) I also think that SRAM changed their pull on the 11 speed stuff since the rear derailleurs are not interchangeable.

I'm going to assume that the Sram 9sp Gripshift version has the same ratio? like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151350331056?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

All 9 speed SRAM pulls the same. Grip shift is perfect for your project.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I was hesitant to get a grip type because of the huge air pressure coming from the fork and I picture the grip turning just with the fork actuation....there is no trigger to release, but later on I thought.... quite not plausible for that to happen. I'll go for it since my rear shifter is already a XX gripshift!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

yep...just what I thought, gripshift twisted alone just from the air pressure. Grip style is not an option....I'll try with a trigger style next.... :( :evil:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

A couple of rides in and reducer is working just fine. Geometry is just like before but now with all the benefits of a 29er, but still feisty like a 26er!