Modernizing a vintage Cannondale

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So I’ve pulled my 1991 Cannondale SM1000 out of my parent’s garage and am going to get the old girl back on the off-road. Sadly all the XC Pro and cool Ringle and Bullseye stuff it used to have on it was sold via eBay many years ago, so it’s basically got an assortment of late 90’s early 00’s Shimano on it atm.

Essentially I’m going to keep the frame, Chris King Headset and the Pace RC36 fork from the current set up (although I still have the pepperoni’s hanging on the wall), and whack a bunch of modern finishing kit on it. I have a Thomson post lying around that will fit so will probably add a Thomson stem and some low rise bars (answer/race face etc).

My main question though is on the groupset, I’ve been road riding for the last 10years so haven’t really kept up with MTB groups, I was just going to chuck 2x10 XT on it, but now I see 1x11 groups look to be the way of the future. My question is that for good old fashioned XC riding (endurance type stuff) is 1x11 a valid option and or worth the increased cost? It looks like the cheapest 1x11 group is nearly twice as much as an XT group!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

AdyM

by AdyM

1x10 narrow wide with XT? Would be good value. But not too light, but then again doesn't really sound like a WW build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'd keep it looking period, so no 1x for example, but that's just me.

My 1997 Fuji Nevada
In no way WW, and I've done it on a real budget (hence the rather unattractive stem although the geometry is the same as the original) I've built it to have some fun out when I want something different to my regular rides, like when out with the family.

Things still needed
Nicer stem
Nicer front wheel (it's a formula I picked up cheap after a previous owner sprayed the rim and nipples white and put Hope stickers on)
More in keeping rubber.

Exage cranks and Biopace rings!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Biopace! A fantastic way to screw your knees! I had that on my old Kona Cinder Cone

I'll look inot the 1x10 set ups' I'm still struggling to work out whether I'd need more ratio's though. Time to find a gear inch calculator
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

TheRookie

by TheRookie

3x10 only gives you (effectively) 2 more low gears and 2 more high gears than 3x10 due to the large areas of ratio overlap.

I run my mtb as 1x (1x9 so half a gear less than a 1x10).

But would frame look 'right' with no front mech.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

ednino

by ednino

1x all the way! No need for 3 rings, it just adds weight, clutter & mechanical problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com