Saint/Zee pad material recommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hiya,

About to do some pad shopping. Note that I'm a roadie, so not worried about muddy/sandy performance, but do ride in the wet.

Been happy with my H01A Shimano pads for the Zee calipers, but after some feedback on the other options out there like the Uberbike (finned), Koolstop (finned) and Swissstop (Exotherm) pads out there, es0pecially the different compounds.

Any feedback ? I xcan get the Shimano H01A pads for A$22 delivered, so price is great.

Don't need metal/sintered pads, as I'm a roadie, but still do decent descents and speed with plenty of tight corners.

TIA

Michael

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You only need finned if you have been getting brake fade due to heat build up, if you haven't they are a waste of time/money and weight.

I'd stick to the Uberbike racematrix without fins if I were you, should be about A$13 based on the UK price, no need to pay more.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Agree with the part about finned - they diod come in handy on a Italy/France trip last year.

Descending down decent hills like La Plagne, Umbrail Pass, Passo Fedaia (steep side), Passo Pordoi, Monticello, Cormet de Roseland etc they earned their keep (i'm more of a clydesdale).

What is the like like on the Uberbike Race Matrix pads ?

TIA

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Unfortunatley with fins you don't know if you need them until it's too late, or whether they were any use until you try without! Dragging brakes is the usual cause of fade, repeated heavy use isnt usually an issue as long as you get off the brakes in between.

Not sure what that question was meant to ask?

RedCoke

by RedCoke

Cuz you said you are rodie, you don't need metal pads. In my opinion, all other resin pads are not very different, but I recommend genuine.

prodigy

by prodigy

Resin pads and riding in the wet don't really go together, unless you want to change pads on a weekly basis.
I'd recommend Uberbike Race Matrix, they last as long as original Shimano sintered pads, have initial bite similar to resin pads and hold in the wet like no other.
I've tried almost all what's out there (except Swisstop), but Uberbike for the price can't be beaten.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Resin pads work fine in the wet on road (without the crud it brings with it on an MTB).

On my commuter I've replaced just one set of front resin pads in 6,500 miles, rears are original. Used right through the 'dry' UK winter!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

prodigy wrote:Resin pads and riding in the wet don't really go together, unless you want to change pads on a weekly basis.
I'd recommend Uberbike Race Matrix, they last as long as original Shimano sintered pads, have initial bite similar to resin pads and hold in the wet like no other.
I've tried almost all what's out there (except Swisstop), but Uberbike for the price can't be beaten.

Thanks for the feedback. Have some Race matrix on their way

Thanks for the replies :thumbup: