Upgrading wheelset - on a budget

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

richieclose

by richieclose

I need some advice! After a long day at a marathon race yesterday, I came to the conclusion that my stock Giant XCR-1's need to be replaced. But on a budget (about €500). So I was thinking of the Veltec 303 SL red + Rigida Edge MC1
or just blowing the budget and going for 650B DT Swiss 240s | NoTubes ZTR Crest

The new wheel set would only be used for race day, and I'm 72kg so should be good go with the pure race rims.

So I'm just looking see if anybody has had any experience with either set or have any strong opinions on them good or bad OR could recommend another wheelset.

robgall13

by robgall13

LB carbon rims with Novatec hub should come in under budget, heavier rims than the Edge MC1 but stiffer and stronger, you could also use them as your everyday set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

A standard ZTR build would be a reasonable option. The hubs are decent and if you're on a budget, there are not a whole lot of reasons to splash out on DT hubs if you can find a good deal on a 'stock' build.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

the ztr + DT should be a very good set. I have a friend who is using the crest rims (with power tap) for training and racing, and he is very happy with them. I also have friend that uses the 240 hubs and he says that they are really reliable, and he have no problem with them.

still, if I would decide to buy another set of wheels for my MTB, I would go for a carbon wheels with novatec... they have a good price and good reviews online. I didnt decide on the company of the rims, becouse I trust aliexpress, maybe I will from there and not from light-bicycle.

richieclose

by richieclose

Thanks for the feedback everyone - would those suggestions come in sub 1500? Or ideally sub 1400? Given that I probably won't upgrade anything else on my Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 2http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.xtc.advanced.27.5.2/14999/66605/ (well, maybe upgrade the bars too), I'd like to get as much sensible weight reduction as possible.

I totally forgot about the LB option, ophiravina, is there a reason why you would not buy direct from LB?

richieclose

by richieclose

Also, in relation to the Veltec 303 SL red + Rigida Edge MC1 setup - has anyone heard good/bad/indifferent things about them? They are pretty new brands to me, but a €400 price tag makes them very tempting if they were to be only used for race day.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

richieclose wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone - would those suggestions come in sub 1500? Or ideally sub 1400? Given that I probably won't upgrade anything else on my Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 2http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.xtc.advanced.27.5.2/14999/66605/ (well, maybe upgrade the bars too), I'd like to get as much sensible weight reduction as possible.

I totally forgot about the LB option, ophiravina, is there a reason why you would not buy direct from LB?

It's not that I have bad expirience with LB, I just have a very good expirience with aliexpress. they have a good buyer protection. I ordered from there about 6 times and on one of the times the package was lost in the mail. the seller didn't want to send me again the product, so I just sent a messege to aliexpress and they gave me full refund, no questions asked.

I saw on aliexpress alot of chinese carbon wheels and they are similar to LB wheels. therefore, I would prefer to buy wheels from there and not from LB, I not sure that LB have a buyer protection like this.

I've seen on aliexpress a 29er wheelset with a claimed weight of 1450g (novated hubs), so I'm pretty sure you will find 27.5 wheels that weight less :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Im running 400 gram lightb. 29er rims with xtr hubs and sapim spokes, dubbel butted but nithing to flash.the rims are awesomethey hold up really wel, i came of crest/ hope and didnt had dramma's with them but i know plenty of my mates did.