SRAM X1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rainerhq

by rainerhq

SRAM goes more deeply into MTB 11 speed: SRAM X1
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-40890/
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

AdyM

by AdyM

I'm sorry shimano, but I can't help feeling that the front mech is dead. I'm running a single ring w/ XTR but would love that 10T cog. What's next for sram, smaller cassettes? While I love the 10T I don't think I'd want the 42T as the 10T would already let me use a smaller chainring. So a 10-32/10-36 cassette would be great for me, and it would be great to have the extra gear within the standard 10spd range for closer gear ratios :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Yep will be interesting to see which companies start speccing this instead of 2x10 SLX/X-7. Not sure if it was a typo in the article, but the weight of the cassette (315g) is actually very good for mid-level kit
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Getter

by Getter

Sorry SRAM...a third tier 1x group with a cassette that still costs more than 300usd? Pass...

I'll wait for Shimano...their 11sp cassette does not need a separate hub adapter to run their 11sp cassette.

This looks more like an OEM group for mid priced bikes.

DanW

by DanW

Yep will be interesting to see which companies start speccing this instead of 2x10 SLX/X-7

None for that level. This "budget" 1x drivetrain is still more expensive than XTR. Still very little price reduction over XO1 and XX1. Shimano at least trickle down tech much better than SRAM.

Shimano XTR 11-40 cassette with a chainring 2T bigger than you would run on XX1 (e.g. if you use 30T on XX1 use 32T on XTR etc) then you just lose half a gear at either and of the range compared to XX1. Half a gear harder up the hills or half a gear slower on the flats is nothing. Not to mention the theoretical reduced efficiency of the drivetrain going below 11T on the small sprocket and the ability to use a standard 10 speed freehub on this new XTR. Although it looks initially disappointing is actually far more sensible and cost effective than any SRAM 1x drivetrain. You'd also imagine XT will reduce costs significantly very soon to offer the same function at a slightly higher weight to have a genuinely good value stock 1x option...

commendatore

by commendatore

Put me down as not quite seeing the point. I find it too expensive compared to xx1 and xtr. If it was cheaper and used a "normal" 11T I think it could have been a big step forward.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Yeah the pricing of X1 is still silly for a stamped cassette, I mean $300, come on! And this is meant to be third-tier stuff, WTF?

I have been thinking long and hard about what my next upgrade will be, XX1 or XTR M9000... I think I am heading back towards Shimano. the SRAM cassette price and need for purchase a new freehub sucks. I have M980 XTR at the moment and I can't fault it except for the weight.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I dont think that X1 cassette price will be 300$, because X01 is 286$

Colin

by Colin

The X01 cassette retails for $399. Street pricing will almost always be lower than MSRP.
I dread the day that I have to tell a customer that the cassette on their $2000 bike is worn out and it'll be $300 to replace, with no cheaper alternatives..that'll go over well.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Colin

by Colin

Like I said, street prices (Internet prices, whatever you want to call it) are always cheaper than retail. None the less, the MSRP for an X01 cassette is $399. Yes, give it a couple months and you'll be able to find the X1 cassette for cheaper than $300 online, but that's beside the point. For a mid tier group, a cassette costing more than $100 is absolutely crazy!

Getter

by Getter

Seems like the X1 group will be more for complete bikes that need to hit a certain price point. Maybe 3-5kusd. Like everybody else is mentioning...until the cassette can be around 100usd...it will not be "mainstream".

1x is the hot item right now...right next to being Enduro. The 42T cog manufacturers are selling them faster than they can make them. Sure the hack 42T doesn't work as well as the SRAM 1X...but it keeps alot more money in your wallet. I dd my hack 42 for around 300. That includes a X0 shifter (100), X9 Type 2 rear derailleur (90), OneUp 42T, (85) Raceface 30T (30). Sold my XT parts for 100...so it was 200 out of pocket for me.

So for 200 out of my pocket it got me 90% of SRAM's 1x system.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

^Yes Getter that is a very very good point.
Of course the 10T is a nice thing to have, and the 'hack' workarounds aren't as refined, but they are still 95% as functional as XX1.
My only concern with the 40-42T cog is that extending the b tension screw often leads to crappy shifting?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Wolftooth say on their website that shifting might be a bit soft between the smaller cogs because of the extreme B-screw adjustment needed. Has anyone found that to be an issue? Also, I'm thinking it may wear out the derailleur faster than with a regular cassette?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

The consensus is that the SRAM Type 2 works better than the Shimao...and from my experience...the SRAM does work better...at least for me.

I originally had a Shimano XT Shadow Plus RD and XT shifter. The soft shifting XT did not feel as precise as the X9. In the smaller cogs with the XT I would have to hold the shift lever for the chain to move up to the next larger cog...if I let go too soon...the chain would tick...especially going from the 15 to the 19. With the X9...I could press and let go...and the chain would move up. The shifting is still a bit slow...but at least I would not have to hold the shift lever down. Once up above the 19T...they both shifted fine. With the XT...I had to thread the b-tension screw from the other side. I did not have to do that with the X9.

What's appealing about the hack 42T, is being able to use what you already have. It does take some trial and error to get the setup dialed in. You don't get the shifting performance of the SRAM 1x11...but I think people are willing to compromise to keep the cash in their wallet.

There is a massive thread on MTBR.com in the drivetrain section. Happy reading!