2012 Cannondale Scalpel 3 26"

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

hi all,

I've just sold my weight weenie Salsa Mamasita 1x10 fully rigid and have replaced it with a 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 3 Carbon 26er.

the spec reads as follows:-

Frame SCALPEL, 80MM, BALLISTEC HI-MOD FULL CARBON, ZERO PIVOT, BB30, 1.5 SI HEAD TUBE
Rear Shock: ROCKSHOX MONARCH RT
Forks LEFTY SPEED PBR, 100MM, OPI, SOLO AIR
Rear Derailleur SHIMANO XT
Front Derailleur SRAM X7, DIRECT MOUNT
Shifters SHIMANO SLX 20 SPEED
Chainset SRAM S1400, BB30, 39/26
Bottom Bracket SRAM BB30
Chain KMC X10SL, 10-SPEED
Freewheel SRAM PG-1030, 11-36, 10-SPEED
Headset HEADSHOK
Stem CANNONDALE OPI ADJUSTABLE, -5 DEGREE, 31.8
Handlebars CANNONDALE C2 RISER, 680X20MM, 2014 ALLOY
Front Brake AVID ELIXIR 7 HYDRAULIC DISC
Rear Brake AVID ELIXIR 7 HYDRAULIC DISC
Rims DT SWISS XCR 1.7 CUSTOM, 24 HOLE 26"
Front Hub LEFTY SL
Rear Hub DT SWISS 370
Tyres SCHWALBE RACING RALPH PACESTAR, 26X2.1” TUBELESS READY
Saddle FI'ZI:K TUNDRA2
Seatpost CANNONDALE C2, 31.6X400MM
Pedals The manufacturer does not supply pedals with this bike
Grips CANNONDALE ALLOY LOCKING GRIPS W/CLOSED END

Stock weight is just claimed to be 22.3lbs. I would like to get closer to 20lbs without spending an absolute fortune changing big things for sake of 50g.

So far, I have come up with the following ideas.

1.) Ditch the chainrings in favour of a Wolftooth 32t spiderless chainring (which i believe works with the cannondale short spindle bb30 s1400 cranks)
2.) Fit a one-up components 40t sprocket (in matching green) so i retain a good range for climbing.
3.) Ditch front mech and shifter.
4.) Switch rear mech to clutch version (I have one in my spares box)
5.) Replace bars and seatpost with carbon items.
6.) Fit lighter grips.

I reckon this could take me down by circa 800g (1.76lbs).

I'm struggling much beyond this at the moment. It would be great to put a pair of lighter wheels on (maybe BOR XMD333 rims with CX-Ray spokes and some light hubs), which should help me push through the 20lbs barrier, but that would be a big additional cost.

Thoughts?

additionally... any suggestions of other spiderless narrow/wide chainrings that work on the short spindle bb30 sram crank for cannondales? absolute black etc don't seem to be too positive about the short spindle whereas wolftooth suggest good compatibility.

drider85

by drider85

PC1080 cassette ~ 150g lighter, if you can give up some range.

KCNC rotors w/ ti bolt would net ~85g

The crank could be quite heavy depending on what s1400 is equal to. I have seen X0 set up 1x in the 600g range.
Most 39t cranks are 120bcd but if it is 104bcd you have a lot more options for just a ring. Wolf tooth is the main narrow wide spiderless option that I know of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

if i go down the wheels route, i would switch up to 650b and go with crest rims and then put on a set of thunder burts.

not really up for another £500 expenditure right now, so will need to look at the drivetrain option for the time being.

robgall13

by robgall13

All good suggestions thus far. I'd get rid of that S1400 crank, get some XO carbon ones, second hand they're less than £100 and new around £150. Those and a nice spiderless ring will save a nice chunk of weight. Maybe you could pick up an XO gripshfter too, they're pretty light. As above some nice KCNC or Ashima rotors should do nicely.

One Up are not the only company offering cassette adapters now, Hope and AbsoluteBlack do now too. Might be worth a look.

If you do get new wheels I'd go 650b, 26ers are in fast decline now. And if you're budget will stretch get some LB carbon hoops.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I would for sure ditch the FD. 1x is just so much nicer. Less clutter, less mass = more fun :)

azmio

by azmio

Hi

Any idea on whether the XCR 1.7 hub is convertible to XD or not? I am not sure on whether hub has 2 pawl or 3 pawl?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com