new frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qvick

by qvick

hello.
i wonder if you have any good suggestions on a new frame for me.
today i am riding a ragley piglet steel and befor that i was riding a sc heckler alu.
both frames have now cracked.
the hecklers downtube cracked after alot of abuse (a little downhill and 5years) and now the piglet is giving up after being welded once(3 years).
this time it is the seat tube that is cracking.

so now im shoping for a new frame.
my budget is 500eur.

im looking for a trail frame hardtail 26" and i have a fork that is 120mm so it would be good if the frame is built for that..
a quite like the piglet with the short stem and 68.5 degree head angle.
the heckler was also a trail bike but with longer stem and shorter toptube.

i think that the geometry should bee something like the piglet, and not to mutch xc.

i dont know if you have tryed something like this?
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456E/o ... -evo-frame

so if you have any good options for me i would bee happy as i was befor

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

cotic soul? or cotic BFE, beautiful frames.

I had a carbon 456, hairline crack the head tube in a fairly minor crash :/ won't buy on-one carbon again. Even when it was up and running it just felt a little sluggish, and wasn't working for me, when the frame cracked and it was replaced by the cotic frame it was superb. The ride felt improved going from cheap carbon to steel.

qvick

by qvick

ok.i saw that the head angle was extra slack on the 456.
I want it a little slack but not that much.

Have you ridden any other light carbon frame with more of a xc feel?
I'm thinking that a lighter frame might be more fun than the heavier steel ones.
It is quite a lot of weight to shave of if i go with carbon than with steel.

AdyM

by AdyM

The only other carbon frames I have ridden are a scott scale 26" and my Giant XTC 27.5, but both of those are a lot lot more expensive than the likes of the On one. And more XC race oriented, with a 69.5 head angle on the giant (I think).

Struggling to think of anything cheap, and still 26, other than the on one whippet, but that's even more XC race, at 70deg.
Besides that, maybe consider Aluminium? Santa Cruz Chameleon? Would make a sweet bike! And definitely not too heavy either. (Slightly more pricey)
Also, why do you want to stick with 26"? If you wanted to go 29, then I'd recommend a Kinesis FF29, I tried on, loved it, and hopefully my next build will be one of those!

I know steel is heavier, but the ride quality and fun I've had on the Cotic massively out weighed the weight savings of the 456. And you can still build up a steel frame to be pretty light these days with a 1x10 set up etc etc :)

Hope this helps you out!