1 x 10 mega cassette 29er build Di2

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorapido

by motorapido

IMG_4655.JPG

heres a pic of the stripped down mech ready for assembly and one trying out the cage lock.
Attachments
IMG_4651.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warx

by warx

Looks great with the paint! That cage lock seems to hold your cage pretty well. Did it just find a natural edge to hold on or did you have to copy what was on the SRAM cage?

motorapido

by motorapido

The cage lock just rests on an edge, i didn't put any notch or detail for it to locate in,
I am working on second one for my cross bike at the moment running a short cage, and will try to post some more detail on the strip down and modifications as i do that.

motorapido

by motorapido

Well heres clutch mech take 2, using the Shimano clutch parts in a custom P knuckle, it uses the Shadow plus clutch from a Zee mech and the cage from an XT M8000 mech to run with an absolute black 11-40 extended range 10 speed cassette, much better and easier to setup than my first attempts, especially with the addition of the Lindarets RoadLink, i've also modified the mount for the Alfine shifter, it may looks slightly odd but it puts the levers in the perfect position to tap with my thumb without moving my hand position on the grip.
Other updates are a new stem and Absolute black narrow wide oval chainring. total weight is now 9.615kg so not that impressive but reasonable.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

is the shifter weater-proof ?
http://eliflap.it/

Getter

by Getter

Nice piece of work!

motorapido

by motorapido

Seems to be, the internal switches are, and except for the mount its a standard Shimano Alfine Di2 shifter.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

tested in the rain ?
http://eliflap.it/

motorapido

by motorapido

Been running the same shifter for over a year now in some very wet and muddy conditions, also been jet washed a few times and still works fine.

jooo

by jooo

Have you weighed the finished RD? How much does the shifter weigh too?

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Claps....well done your RD clutch mod is freaking awesome. Even though XTR Di2 exists, I appreciate the effort gone into this.
Can you explain the level of modification required to make your RD work- is it simply joining the Ultegra. XT M8000 cage and Zee clutch together?

motorapido

by motorapido

will get some weights next week as will need to strip the parts back of to weigh them but its quick to do.

As for the build, its been through a few versions and when i started out XTR Di2 didn't exist and the only options where 10 speed road Di2 with the likes of the k-edge cage.
My route to this final design started with wanting to run 1 x 10 with a mega cassette, the first iteration was the standard shimano knuckle, but a custom cage similar to the K-edge or SRAM XX1 with a large off set to the top pulley.
To get it to work it needed more tension in both the B and P knuckle springs and a longer B knuckle screw to get the clearance for the big cassette ring. Running with an XT cassette with a One Up 42tooth cassette ring.

Next i tried the same cage with a SRAM clutch, but it wasn't very adjustable for the clutch load and wasn't a huge success with a few mis-shifts or baulking at going up-to and from the 42 tooth.

My main reason for going to the final knuckle design was actually to run a clutch mech on my cyclocross bike were no real solution exists, and at about this time the Di2 XTR mech's were becoming available. But i don't have wheels i can convert to 11 speed, XTR Di2 is very expensive as are the cassettes, and my shifter and junction A won't work with XTR di2 being 6770 Ultegra.

Basically it involved lots of measuring on a shadowgraph and CMM to work out the pivot angles and positions to ensure that the cage spindle axis runs parallel with the wheel axis, and even now i think its possibly slightly out.
Modelling the whole thing up on CAD and adding the pivots and details to secure the clutch and activation cam.
A couple of RP parts where run off to confirm that it all lined up, which required a few goes to sort it, as i had rotated the activation cam relative to the position on the Shimano original. The original plan was to machine up a new custom cage as before but to suit the clutch mech pivot as opposed to my first design which used the road P knuckle pivot bush. But XT M8000 mech became available. if i'd known at the time i would have re-designed it all to suit the type 2 shadow plus clutch but it would require a lot of re-design and the RP knuckles were already ordered by then.

i used the Zee clutch simply because the mechs are cheap and the short cage is ideal for a cyclocross bike which i have fitted out with rest of the RP parts and is also running a 6770 Ultegra mech with a clutch. i've since changed it to 1 x 10 running an 11-34 cassette with a one up Radr cage, This is halfway between the Zee and a mtb mid length cage and works spot on. Will post up some info on it in the cyclo-cross forum once i get the tyres converted to tubeless.

A couple of photos of whats inside the mech.
ImageImageImage