11 speed chain - alternative to XX1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattpage

by mattpage

Is there a chain on the market that is specifically designed for XX1 or 1x11 drivetrains?

Or is anyone using a chain that is not designed for it, but having success?
I'm fed up of breaking the SRAM chain and need to try something better.

L3X

by L3X

Maybe give KMC a go? According to their site some chains are 11s compatible: http://www.kmcchain.eu/products-multiple_speed-11_speed_derailleur

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattpage

by mattpage

11 speed road is different to XX1 though, isn't it?

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

Nope, spacing is the same and will work fine. Dura ace chains are labeled dura ace/xtr for 10 speed. For ultimate bling check out the KMC dlc chains

grover

by grover

The original XX1 chain had hollow pins AND hollow outer plates. The current XX1 chain only has hollow pins, outer plates are now solid. I snapped six of the original, haven't snapped one of the version with solid plates. That is a consistent theme I believe. Have you tried the solid outer plate version?

If so, be aware that XX1 cassettes are actually very close to 10 speed spacing. The extra cog fits by being angled to follow the spoke angle. Just try a cheap chain with solid pins and plates like SRAM PC1050.

mattpage

by mattpage

I didn't realise they have a different version. I may test that first.
I prefer KMC or Shimano chains in general though.

Jaker

by Jaker

I haven't used one in 11 speed configuration, but I've been using the KMC X11SL for over a year now in 10 speed mode on 2 bikes (hybrid commuter and Giant Trance) and have had no issues.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I use Ultegra 11s chain on XX1 drivetrain. It´s cheaper 22€ (29$) and you have to change chains more frequently to protect this expensive cassette :)
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

DanW

by DanW

I think there is some slightly confusing information here.

SRAM and Shimano 11 speed chains are the same dimensions as 10 speed chains. KMC 11 speed chains are for Campag 11 speed only as the inner dimension is slightly smaller IIRC. Any SRAM or Shimano 10/11 speed is fine as is any KMC 10 speed.

I also passionately dislike SRAM chains as they pins seems to wear really quickly making them stretch and go sloppy. Plus my chain rusted during the first ride. Not even after but during!

That said the newer version with the solid plates has served me well so far and is lighter than both KMC X10 SL and Shimano Dura-Ace 11 speed (the heaviest). It may also be worth noting that SRAM have updated the manuals shipping with newer chains which recommends adding an extra link.

stephenjames

by stephenjames

Hi Matt, how's it going - I haven't seen you about for ages!

I'm using the KMC 10spd chains. I had a load left over from running 10spd so thought I would try it and they seem to work perfectly fine. And I always use the cheaper end of the scale to be honest!

Steve J

Jaker

by Jaker

DanW wrote:KMC 11 speed chains are for Campag 11 speed only as the inner dimension is slightly smaller IIRC.

Well I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the KMC X11SL works perfectly with 10 speed Shimano and SRAM cassettes and 2mm thick Ti Experimental Prototype chainrings using SRAM XO and XX front derailleurs and SRAM old style X0 rear derailleurs.

mattpage

by mattpage

Thanks everyone. I'll give 10sp KMC chains a shot.

grover

by grover

Normal chain length measurement is big big plus two links.

SRAM have always recommended PLUS FOUR links using a type 2 rear mech.

DanW

by DanW

As Grover says, SRAM's recommendation has changed and seems to have helped reduce the chain breaks. Even with plus 4 links my chain in really on the limit in the biggest sprocket- I can only imagine the problems with plus 2

mattpage

by mattpage

DanW wrote:As Grover says, SRAM's recommendation has changed and seems to have helped reduce the chain breaks. Even with plus 4 links my chain in really on the limit in the biggest sprocket- I can only imagine the problems with plus 2

I've not had any breakages in the top 42t cog.
It has always been under power out of a corner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com