New frame - what to get?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

The racer from the LBS has his at 20lbs on the XL frame, with xtr 1x10, and light but not massively fancy parts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

seismic,

any updates? What did you end up getting?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

tojnom

by tojnom

I'm curious as a well...please post an update with pics!

seismic

by seismic

Well, I never found what I was looking for. I contacted Appleman and Crumpton. Crumpton never replied me so I gave up on this option. Appleman was very fast in responding and a pleasure to speak with. Unfortunately I was not able to get a frame down to the weight I wanted, so I gave up on this option as well. The only frame I managed to identify which was light enough was Open Cycles. Unfortunately I have decided against an Open frame (at least for now) as some of the feedback I have received say that the frames are quite soft. So, - unfortunately - for now, I am still on my old Flash. With the combination of a relatively acceptable weight and reasonable stiffness of the Flash, for now this seems to be the best solution. I do however hope to find something lighter way forward.

silver

by silver

Seismic,

In spring I had exactly the same situation as you do now. I was riding my lovely 26" Cannondale Flash Carbon HiMod and wanting to switch to a light 29". I finally decided to build my bike on an Open 1.0 frame and have no regrets so far. I built mine with Lefty, XX1 and Industry 9 wheels. Handles very well and not soft. Actually the best bike I have ridden during my 20-year career on hardtails. So I would highly recommend to consider this frame. I am also 185 tall and riding size L. And if you have any specific questions about the frame and its stiffness, both Gerard and Andy from OpenCycle are very helpful. Just drop them an e-mail.

seismic

by seismic

Sounds good. Any pics and weight?

silver

by silver

You can find a pic and full spec on Open owners' showcase: http://opencycle.com/owners-showcase/sliver-by-silver
Weight is 8,3 kgs but you can easily cut this by around 200 grams as my Thunder Burts came in at 520 and 530 grams respectively (claimed weight is 435 grams). The upside was that they were very easy to set up tubeless and I have had no issues with them during the season.

seismic

by seismic

Looks good.

silver

by silver

Thanks! If money is no object, they now have a frame called One, made together with AX Lightness and claimed to be stiffer that the 1.0. Anyway, as different riders have different needs, I recommend to contact them directly.

seismic

by seismic

I will keep Open in the back of my mind as a potential option. They do have some interesting designs - interested in seeing how they will develop.

jimborello

by jimborello

What did you get at the end?? I was checking this thread and it seems the new Open ONE is what you were looking for

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Open's head tube angle of 72 degrees is steeper than anything else that I know of wrt. 29er hardtails. The new Cannondale F-Si has a head tube angle of 69.5 degrees (vs. 71 for the F29). With other things being equal, a bike with a slacker head tube should be more stable on the descents...