Light 29er custom race wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Hey guys

speculating on a new wheelset for racing.

Im 69kg, racing elite XCO mtb in Canada. Riding a hardtail and currently using crest/AM classic/dt rev/32-32, for a 1430g wheelset.

I'd like something the same weight or lighter. If sligthly heavier I'd like it more durable. At my weight, can I go for a 28-28 combo?

What would be my options without breaking the bank.... I don't think I can afford carbon rims. Are the crest my only rim options?

The industry nine hubs for j-bent spokes are nice looking but not so light. Dt swiss, awesome reliability but pricey and not light either. I DON'T want Tune hubs or any fancy hubs that could end up being crappy. Actually, reliability is a big concern.

Let's not go above 1500g

michel2

by michel2

how are u going buddy,
i just finished a 100km race on my new wheels,i rode on hope with crest for ages but wanted something wider, i was hoping i would have my tyres b'burping' less on a wider rim.

i bought a set of xtr hubs, sapim spokes and lightweight bicycle carbon rims, i have the older model with a bead not the new ones. the rims came in @ 400 and 405 grams each and the the hubs are what the box set i think it was roughly 400 for front and rear, but really there lighter than king, half the price and the run butterfly smooth, and will do for ever and ever! sapim spokes with ally nippels to top its of, i think it ended up around 1478 grams, I'm very happy with them, i won't hesitate giving the new model rims a go !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

I also would put in a vote for cheep carbon rims. I used Carbonality rims 330g in 27.5". I weight the same and am running American Classic/CX Ray/Carbon Rim 27.5"~1288g. I have found carbon rim to be much stiffer and more durable then the light alloy rims I have run in the past (Blunt SL and Olympics). Wheel deflection over bumps and in changing of directions is much better with carbon. Quality from them was much better then I thought. Best guess for that set up in 29er would be about 1350g. I have had good luck with 28 hole at my weight of 68kg at Cat1/Open speed.

As for hubs it is hard to steer you away from XTR's reliability. I went with AC because they are listed lighter the front is a lot lighter and the rear was only ~30g lighter. Newer AC is still to be seen for long term reliability.

devinci

by devinci

Thabks for your feedback.

These are rims from carbonalty? Are they the same as LB?

What about i9 hubs?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

A guy I ride with just had some new LB hookless 29" wheels built up. 32/32 with DT350s were 1505g.
I think he said his total build was under $800. You would have room to go lighter, probably close to your Crests but definitely not flexy like them.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have 3 sets of LB wheels one with AC, one with DT240 and one with Shimano 529. I love them all. Between the AC and DT I slightly prefer the AC and also, I was able to build the AC's with one size spokes which saved money and the AC's were lighter than the DT's by around 30 grams IIRC.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

devinci

by devinci

Whats the verdict on the LB hookless rims? I heard regular non tubeless tires were hard to seal on those...

I use maxxis tires, ardent, ikon and beaver, not TR.

The LB hookless are appealing for their weight but I would not want to be stuck with some finnicky tubeless tires setup on those.

I am surprised nobody comments on the i9 hubs..

stuka666

by stuka666

I'd stick with AC or DT 240s for reliability, dt revo for spokes and LB or bor xmd333 rims.

I bought an extralite JF for the front wheel, but on the back I want a heavier hub that doesn't have a crappy freehub (tune, etc).

Extralite on the front, 280 grams hub on the back, 2x XMD 333, DT REVO spokes +/- 1400 grams.

devinci

by devinci

Are the i9 hubs unreliable at all?

Also regarding spokes, many seems to vouch for bladed spokes over butted spokes such as revo. Considering a 28-28 patern, should I go bladed or stick with something like the revo's or sapim's equivalency (my current crest build is based on sapim's equivalency to dt rev) no idea why I said my wheel were built on revs

ophiravina

by ophiravina

what's wrong with your wheels? why do you want to replace them? will you keep them as a second set?

devinci

by devinci

Selling the bike and wheels...

Too bad american classic is not doing 28h hubs, i would have gone that way for the weight

devinci

by devinci

drider85 wrote:I also would put in a vote for cheep carbon rims. I used Carbonality rims 330g in 27.5". I weight the same and am running American Classic/CX Ray/Carbon Rim 27.5"~1288g. I have found carbon rim to be much stiffer and more durable then the light alloy rims I have run in the past (Blunt SL and Olympics). Wheel deflection over bumps and in changing of directions is much better with carbon. Quality from them was much better then I thought. Best guess for that set up in 29er would be about 1350g. I have had good luck with 28 hole at my weight of 68kg at Cat1/Open speed.

As for hubs it is hard to steer you away from XTR's reliability. I went with AC because they are listed lighter the front is a lot lighter and the rear was only ~30g lighter. Newer AC is still to be seen for long term reliability.

I contacted LB and carbonality, are their rims the same? Does LB offer a better product? Carbonality rims are stated at 350g +-10

When shipping with EMS, who takes care of it when it arrives? Canada Post?

drider85

by drider85

I don't think there rims are the same however I have not seen LB rims. In my comparison most Carbonality rims were advertised as lower weight. The rims I received were accurate on the weight. (335g advertised and showed up 324 and 342)

American Classic does make a 28hole hub. I called them and asked for it. They were easy to work with. As for I9 I have only heard good things but new/first gen product makes me nervous. I had a buddy that had a pain of a time rebuilding the older I9 hubs but that is hardly a fair comparison.

As for spokes I would recommend bladed spokes. With wheels that I have test ridden back to back same tire, pressure, course and bike the wheels with bladed spokes felt stiffer and deflected less. Most notability when hitting a steep rock face in the trail.

Carbonality has a titanium re-enforcement in bead with carbon around it. That was one of the factors that pushed me toward them. Carbon bead with impacts... I would rather not test my luck.

devinci

by devinci

Sounds good.

May go carbonality way. Not sure on the hubs just yet. If i can find something in the weight range of AM classic or light but more reliable I'd go that way, 28h. I think AM classic bearings are not quite as strong as other iirc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

planB

by planB

Another vote for the LB rims here. I have two sets of 29er wheels -- both with Hope hubs, same spokes, spoke count etc. One set is built on Crests and the other on LB "wide" 23mm internal rims with bead hooks. The weights are very similar but the LB rim is noticeably stiffer and stayed perfectly true all summer under my 175lbs racing hard (mostly in Quebec too, actually!) My Crests typically needed truing after every rocky race when I used them for racing. They dented easily too. I'm continuously amazed at the hits the LB wheels hold up to.

I'm absolutely sold on the LB rims. I also used to use a lot of Maxxis tires -- Aspen, Ikon and Beaver -- with regular beads. When I got the LB rims I wrapped them with Gorilla Tape and tried all my old tires tubeless with a floor pump. The Maxxis tires required an air compressor. My Specialized "2Bliss" bead tires popped on with a floor pump. I decided to use tubeless ready tires exclusively on the LB rims. They have never burped. The Maxxis tires may well have worked okay once I used the compressor to install, but I didn't want to chance it. Pretty well every tire uses a tubeless bead now anyway.

Actually, now that I think about it, I experimented briefly with a Bontrager Rhythm tubeless strip and the Maxxis Aspens popped on very easily with a floor pump and rode very well. I didn't think the extra weight of the rimstrip was worth it just to use some old tires I had lying around though, so I went back to the Gorilla Tape and Specialized tires. Perfect. The Maxxis tires will be on the Crest wheels until they wear out and I replace them with the newer tubeless bead versions.