Light 29er custom race wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Not being able to use maxxis tires would be a pita.
Im not sure how they would not work though, using some tape and a compressor...

LB rims, carbonality rims... sounds about similar to me

afalts

by afalts

I would stick with the AM Classic hubs. Industry9 are heavier, and their freewheel mechanism has a lot of drag. Get some of the higher end enduro bearings for your am classic hubs (if your current ones are worn), I got some of the angular contacts in my am classics just now and they feel a little better than stock. I also love the steel clips am classic has on their free hub, i9's have problems with teeth digging in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Good informations, thanks for this.

Will keep thinking all of this but LB/carbonality carbon rims on 28h am classic hubs and cx ray sounds pretty good so far.

Though I may need to keep my current stans crest build if I dont sell my bike!

Dandegroot32

by Dandegroot32

Anyone had any failures with the Chinese rims?

kroe

by kroe

I9 hubs are great. I had a set of the older ones and never had an issue. Very quick engagement, beautiful machining and anodizing, only downside was weight.

This week I built up a new set of wheels - the new and much lighter I9 Torch hubs (15mm, 142mm) with LB 33mm hookless 26" rims and 32 Pillar Xtra spokes. 1525g for the set. These will be bomb-proof.

While I9 uses an aluminum cassette body with no steel clips like the AC has, the aluminum is much harder than what I have seen on other hubs. Haven't had any gouging issues, which I did on previous gen AC, White Industries, etc.

Unless you are going to go for crazy light hubs I don't see how I9 Torch can be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devinci

by devinci

well, thanks guys for the comments.

I managed to get my hands on centerlock dt swiss 240 hubs. They will be built on stans crest and dt revo spokes. Not crazy light, but should be light enough.

njee20

by njee20

Bladed spokes will not be any stiffer, save your money.

I've got LB hookless 29er with AM classic 32/32 with revolutions, they're 1370g, very nice wheelset. I use Schwalbe TLR tyres - needed two turns of Gorilla tape, as tyres were too baggy with one, but they go up and seal perfectly with a track pump.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Hi All, I'm looking to lace up some carbon race wheels using either LB or Carbonality rims for my Scalpel 2 29r.

In my birthday suit I'm about 80kg, but have found my fears about the Crest rims have come to pass and they badly need truing. Tried to do it today butgot nowhere.

Some of the trails I ride are moderately technical - St Ives singletrack, Manly Dam, Ourimbah (NSW Australia) with blue and occasional black sections probably being the upper limit of what I tackle on this bike. For general riding/training I will probably swap to Arch EX in the near future.

I was thinking the 27mm wide hookless LB rims or the Ti-wire reinforced Carbonality, but I'm favouring the LB rims.

Opinions on this choice would be welcome, and also on the number of spokes. I was thinking with the stiffer rims, 28H would be realistic for race rims. Or should I stick with 32H? Bladed or regular spokes?

Thanks for your help.

njee20

by njee20

For my money (having used CX-Rays and Aerolites) I'd just get Revolutions. If you snap a lot of spokes consider bladed, but personally I found that I just broke nipples instead of spokes. Never broken a Revolution anyway.

Personally I just got 32H, 28 limits your choice of hubs significantly and saves virtually no weight, I just wouldn't bother. YMMV.

Continue to be impressed with the LB hookless rims though, generally running about 23-25psi in 2.25" Rons on mine and they're great, way stiffer than the 26" Podium MMXs I had on my last bike.

Super Brad

by Super Brad

I'm in the same boat as the OP, however I have a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR's as my everyday wheels.
They are super reliable and bombproof, but I'd love something lighter for racing.
Was thinking about some LB rims, but don't know what to use for hubs.

I'm using 15mm front and 12x142 rear through axles.

mentok

by mentok

how about tune king and kong? http://www.starbike.com/en/brands/tune/

or at the cheaper end of the scale, BHS has some slightly heavier chinese hubs available in 15 and 145 axles (162g / 268g f/r from memory)

Super Brad

by Super Brad

While they would be amazing, they are probably a bit more than I'd like to throw at hubs.

jooo

by jooo

Have you thought about a complete build from LB? Novatec D771SB/D772SB are great hubs for the $$$ and most people on MTBR seem to have been happy with the build quality of the wheels...

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

jooo wrote:Have you thought about a complete build from LB? Novatec D771SB/D772SB are great hubs for the $$$ and most people on MTBR seem to have been happy with the build quality of the wheels...

Yes, Novatec D771/772 hubs and Sapim Delta spokes are good components for a wheels, with them, i think a XC 29" wheels can less 1450g. i heard of MTBR too, It seems Peter from XMIPLAY sold this light 29" wheels very well, get a high reputations in MTBR.com.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would go with DT Swiss 240 28 spoke hubs with DT competition straight pull spokes laced to rims of your choice. I have just done a road bike disc build with these hubs and spokes on carbon rims as I see no reason given the stiffnes why they would not work with suitable rims for MTB.

D711/D712 hubs are pretty good too and come in 28H drillings for J-bend spokes. I would be tempted by FRM rims myself do not know the availability in Canada.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com