s-works aluminium

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ophiravina

by ophiravina

hello, I have a stumpjumper comp carbon (m8). two weeks ago I found a crack in my frame, after sending some pics to specialized they said that its my fault and that I probably fell and the frame got hit by an object.

I was very disappointed that after 6 monthes of use, I had to replace my frame.
it's the middle of the sesson and even if I find a bike, I will ride a bike that I'm not used to, in the nationals...

the sepecialized dealer is in good relations with are team and he told me that in two days he will get a new frame "SW HT" which is made from aluminium, and that he can give it to me to Demonstrate the company's commitment to the team...

SW probably stand for S-WORKS and HT probably stands for Hard Tail. I didnt know that specialized makes an s-works level aluminium frame, and it cant be an old model becouse it's 29er...

do you know this model? should I go for it? is it the same frame as the stumpjumper comp m5?

does anybody knows what will be the weight diffrences between my crabon frame and the new aluminium frame?
what is the weight of the stumpjumper comp m5 frame?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

In my experience Spec alum frames are heavy compared to say Niner or Giant. I can't tell you much else about Spec since I avoid them like the plague because I have heard so many stories like yours that they always blame the user for any cracks etc. Niner has replaced frames for me "no questions asked" so to speak. Spec would rather fight than anything else as evidenced by them suing a bike shop owner with a shop named like one of their models until the entire world turned against them and they reconsidered. Spec thinks they invented Paris Roubaix.

A buddy had a road frame from Spec that was early carbon. The carbon delaminated because the resin they used apparently was not immune to sweat. When he bought the frame it was their top of the line carbon frame. After 6 months of haggling over their "lifetime" warranty they replaced it with an aluminum frame.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

S-Works aluminium? That must be a very old bike then.... Either that, or it's not an S-Works frame.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I've had good luck getting my Specialized bikes replaced in the past, but it really depends on the location of the crack too. It helps to have a good dealer who can deal with the warranty process and will take your side in the issue. I just had my 2012 Stumpjumper hard tail replaced under warranty and received a 2013 as a replacement. I remember seeing an aluminum frame listed as being an S-Works about two or three years back on a European site.

rijndael

by rijndael

tonytourist wrote:I remember seeing an aluminum frame listed as being an S-Works about two or three years back on a European site.

They made some last year: http://road.cc/content/news/84852-speci ... llez-frame

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

That is a road bike.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

rijndael

by rijndael

Doh! I didn't realize I was viewing a thread in the MTB area.

wingguy

by wingguy

ophiravina wrote:the sepecialized dealer is in good relations with are team and he told me that in two days he will get a new frame "SW HT" which is made from aluminium, and that he can give it to me to Demonstrate the company's commitment to the team...

do you know this model? should I go for it? is it the same frame as the stumpjumper comp m5

Not being facetious dude, but if you don't know what's being offered to you why aren't you asking the dealer that's offering it? He's the one with the info.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

the_marsbar wrote:S-Works aluminium? That must be a very old bike then.... Either that, or it's not an S-Works frame.

I found some pics online:

2012 model:

2014 model:

tonytourist wrote:I've had good luck getting my Specialized bikes replaced in the past, but it really depends on the location of the crack too. It helps to have a good dealer who can deal with the warranty process and will take your side in the issue. I just had my 2012 Stumpjumper hard tail replaced under warranty and received a 2013 as a replacement. I remember seeing an aluminum frame listed as being an S-Works about two or three years back on a European site.

I also had good expirience with specialized warrenty..
they replaced my tarmac sl2 comp to an sl4 pro, after there was a crack in the BB...

this time the crack is in the seat stay and they say that it cant be there fault..

wingguy wrote:Not being facetious dude, but if you don't know what's being offered to you why aren't you asking the dealer that's offering it? He's the one with the info.

He also dont know, he told me that he will get the frame in two days and that he can give it to me... he told that it made from aluminium and that the name of the frame is SW HT...

weenie

by weenie

i kinda wonder what they standards are to decide if its your fault or not. i would imagine that quite often they can't be sure.

michel2

by michel2

weenie wrote:i kinda wonder what they standards are to decide if its your fault or not. i would imagine that quite often they can't be sure.

spot on that what i was thinking, unless there is an imprint of a brick or something else really obvious who are they to tell you how you got the crack.trek is about to repair my superfly after they replaced the first one...but as much as the patch up my bike it will be my last carbonfiber mtb

ally s works, remember my breezed lighting being the same weight as a sworks ally, the swords did had a longer head tube tho

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

From what i'm reading here, I'd be really weary of that dealer. When my road bike was recently replaced, my dealer knew EVERYTHING that was being done. He even had the serial number of the replacement bike before it arrived. If your frame wasn't damaged by you, I would expect your dealer to be fighting for you, not trying to sell you another frame (unless they're really short-sighted, and just want to make a deal).

Bottom line, I'd look at another shop to handle this claim (again, assuming that you really weren't at fault).

ophiravina

by ophiravina

FIJIGabe wrote:From what i'm reading here, I'd be really weary of that dealer. When my road bike was recently replaced, my dealer knew EVERYTHING that was being done. He even had the serial number of the replacement bike before it arrived. If your frame wasn't damaged by you, I would expect your dealer to be fighting for you, not trying to sell you another frame (unless they're really short-sighted, and just want to make a deal).

Bottom line, I'd look at another shop to handle this claim (again, assuming that you really weren't at fault).

I cant say anything bad about the LBS, specialized said that the crack was becouse of an impact and that they dont take responsibility for it..
I have some expirience with specialized warrenty and if they did take responsibility for it they would have given me a carbon frame.
Last time they even upgraded my frame when it got broken.

The resson that the LBS offerd me the new frame is becouse of the relasions beetween my team and his store (they kinda sponsor us), they gave one of my teammates a bike, a month ago..
He talked to specialized and he tried to convince them to warrenty my frame, but after they said that they wont warrenty it, he offerd me a new frame, he gives me the frame, not specialized.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

two days ago I got the bike and built it, it is very nice frame for an aluminium, and I like it :-)

I will post a topic about it in the "introduce your bike" forum...

posted it:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=124082

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com