Shedding weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

Okay, I know this topic comes up a lot, and its usually meet with a variety of responses from through it in the trash can to buy a new bike. here's my deal. I found a Novara Bliss at a pawn shop for $200, not a great bike, but it was for my wife, who I am trying to get into biking as much as I am, and it was basically brand new. Got it home and it weighed in the neighborhood of 33lbs 15000 grams.
I completely overhauled it, I replaced just about everything on the bike, but the crankset and the headset....which I am sure don't amount to that much.
I updated the drivetrain to X9, new rear mech, new shifters, new Avid Elixir brakes. I put on a pair of Stans ZTR Olympic rims with X9 Hubs, I put on a SID Race fork, full FSA carbon cockpit, changed out as many bolts for ti bolts as I could find...but it still seems to be a pig. Frame alone is 3393 grams

I got it down to just about 28 lbs 12581 grams....short of buying a new frame (Which is more than likely the culprit) what else can I do?

A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

victorduraace

by victorduraace

You have gone decently far, just let her ride it and focus on super comfy saddle/fit
I wouldn't invest anymore

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Heavy tires? Heavy pedals too. Maybe convert the crank to 2 rings. Handlebars look a bit high?

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

the_marsbar wrote:Heavy tires? Heavy pedals too. Maybe convert the crank to 2 rings. Handlebars look a bit high?

Pretty sure the tires would be a good place to look...kenda nevegal john tomac signature series 796 grams a piece...the pedals are Tioga Spyders 280 grams for the pair including pins. Any suggestions on tires? I have been using Maxxis Crossmarks with Silkworm casing at about 515 grams each, I ride a lot of single track, hardpack, roots etc. and I just don't want her feeling like she trying to pedal a tank up the hills.
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

mattr

by mattr

Get some of the lighter Schwalbe offerings (Racing Ralph?) and depending on your wifes weight you could probably go down to a 2" tyre.
Are you running tubeless as well? Depending on what the current state of play for your build is you could be saving half a kilo on tyres/tubes by converting some standard tyres to tubeless. As long as you don't do anything daft, like getting tubeless versions of the tyres!

IIRC Truvativ Firex cranks are a bit of a boat anchor too. Stock one has steel rings. Could save weight by either buying a set (or a pair) of TA or similar aluminium rings, or getting a new crank (i would imagine an XT 2x would save a fair chunk)

Also, what cassette have you got fitted, there can be savings made there.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

mattr wrote: getting a new crank (i would imagine an XT 2x would save a fair chunk)

Also, what cassette have you got fitted, there can be savings made there.

If you change the crank to a double, you will have to buy a new front der and shifter...
The crankset could save you a lot of weight, I would go for an fsa slk ,if you can afford it. it is very light, stiff and it will fit the bar, stem and seatpost very well.

the cassette can also help with losing weight and increasing durability (I like very much the XT and XTR, depending on your budget)

+1 on the tires (I recomend the Specialized Fast trak control), tubless of course.

and also change the grips to ESI chunky

mattr

by mattr

ophiravina wrote:If you change the crank to a double, you will have to buy a new front der and shifter...
No you won't. Stop screws and correct set up get 99% of the way. A front mech will do the last little bit. There is no need for a double shifter.

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

Thanks...I'll look into the Schwalbe tires, I have heard nothing but good stuff on them, might also start the search for a decent crankset, the grips wouldn't do...cuz that's her favorite part of the bike.

Thanks.
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dandegroot32

by Dandegroot32

+1 Schwalbe