Fantic26 10speed Gripshift twist shifters

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaker

by Jaker

Anyone here currently using the Fantic26 10 speed converted Gripshift twist shifters with an old style (2010 or older) XO rear derailleur - MOD III SRAM X0 old Gripshift 10 Speed X7 X9 X0 bis Bj 2010, 119,90 & ? Can you comment on the performance? I used a BlackCat converted shifter for a little while (till my bike was stolen 2 years ago) and it worked well enough that I could use it, but some of the shifts were not that smooth and involved a bit of farting around with the shifter to get the gear I was after. Mostly when going down the cassette from say 6th to 5th cog.

Looking at putting together a 2x10 lightweight build and will be using twist shifters again.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Why not use SRAM X0 twist shifters?

I have an X0 (9 speed) twist shifter mated to a 2010 X9 rear mech and it works perfectly, easiest setup of any bike I have.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@Jaker - I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences also. I haven't seen many reviews and they've been a bit mixed, not in a totally bad way, but just not particularly thorough reviews. It would be good to know if there's much difference between the mods. I'd like to try a 10 speed mod to the old style grip shift. I'm not sure if I should use a 9 speed SRAM derailleur or 10 speed Dyna-Sys derailleur (I have both).

@TheRookie - do you understand the question? There isn't compatibility between 9 & 10 speed SRAM without modification.

Jaker

by Jaker

jooo wrote: I'm not sure if I should use a 9 speed SRAM derailleur or 10 speed Dyna-Sys derailleur (I have both).

They have different versions depending on which derailleur you choose. I think they have 4 different mods, I, II, III and IV. The one I need for the older X0/X9/X7 is the Mod III.

I've decided to give this a try:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1221713 ... t-received

If that fails, I'll go for the Fantic26 version.

jooo

by jooo

I saw the link for the 10 speed ratchet ring on MTBR. Looks interesting and considering trying it out in the future... just a shame postage to Australia is so expensive for a part that size :noidea:

Chiva

by Chiva

I've used the Mod III for the last 2 years and it works awesome. Using my same 9speed XO rear derailleur is the best part. It's very thrifty. This was a great upgrade.

sjrdbx

by sjrdbx

Jaker wrote:
jooo wrote: I'm not sure if I should use a 9 speed SRAM derailleur or 10 speed Dyna-Sys derailleur (I have both).

They have different versions depending on which derailleur you choose. I think they have 4 different mods, I, II, III and IV. The one I need for the older X0/X9/X7 is the Mod III.

I've decided to give this a try:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1221713 ... t-received

If that fails, I'll go for the Fantic26 version.

I'm a bit late, but i'm curious if this works. If this is the case, what rear derailleur do you have? I have both a 10 speed xtr derailleur and a 9 speed sram XO derailleur.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com