XX1 shifter - GS vs Trigger

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattpage

by mattpage

Anyone have weights of both, weighed bare.
ie. no cables and not the full grip on the GS model.

I think SRAM has sorted quality control issues on the GS now?

I loved X0 9sp gripshift and considering going back if the issues are sorted and the weight is comparable to the trigger shifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

including wire (same length) my Twister is 101g and my Trigger is 104g (without mounting as I use Matchmaker X)

DanW

by DanW

No weight without cable, sorry, but my XX1 trigger with cable, carbon fibre matchmaker to XTR brakes and Ti bolts is 114g. Gripshift with the same cable is 104g.

Cerro's trigger seems a touch light as R2-Bike have them photographed on the scale at 110g without clamp (but with cable) which agrees with the one I am using and have weighed (CF matchmaker and bolts are 4g, 114g-4g= 110g). Nevertheless, using a trigger with a matchmaker only gives away 5-10g over the grip shift by the looks of it.

I was super keen to get back to using gripshift but the problems don't seem to have slowed down and SRAM don't seem to have made any meaningful modifications to cure the known issues. Someone on MTBR recently opened one up and the internals on XX1 were reportedly far lower quality than the gripshift of old. I forget the link or exact differences but essentially the XX1 gripshift still looks like a potential PITA and I wasn't personally prepared to risk being without a shifter mid ride/ race or for weeks at a time while waiting for a warranty replacement. The trigger really is rather good (coming from X0 9 speed gripshift then XTR 985 triggers previously).

rainerhq

by rainerhq

My XX1 trigger without cable = 95g
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

cerro

by cerro

DanW: Saying Thanks to R2 for sending me a light one then ;) But the wire is a bit shorter than original but same length as on the Twister so comparable

DanW

by DanW

Did you specially request a lighter one or just get lucky? R2 do do a fantastic job for us WW one way or another! :D

cerro

by cerro

just got lucky

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As an aside, when (or is it why!) did gripshifts put on weight, the SRAM MRX on my wifes bike (8speed) are only 68g each, lighter by a long way than the X0 9 speed on my commuter (87g) which is lighter still than the ones quoted above.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jooo

by jooo

They've put on weight because it's a completely different part. The design has gone from a relatively small number of components (often made from plastic) to a much more complex assembly with quite a bit more metal. Search online, there are pictures illustrating the differences.

No idea why SRAM chose to make something more complex for the sake of it when reliability (which in this case impacts performance) seems to be worse than the previous model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Sorry,yes I know the internals have been messed with, the shifts do feel smoother and somewhat less clunky than the old MRX's (though as these are still working 9 years later it is doubtful durability has been improved significantly if at all), but as one of the key selling points of gripshifts is (less) weight, it seems a backward step, especially when triggers have been closing the gap from the other end!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956