found this online: The lightest mountain e-bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hey,

When searching for some info on lightest bikes I found this article. It completely blew my mind. And by looking at the parts hanging from the bike the owner must have been a regular on here as well!

http://www.electricbike.com/lightest-bike/
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No wonder he needs an ebike with that riding position (saddle too low, pedals under instep)...actually fair play, at that age I guess it's a way to keep getting the thrills when the mind is strong but the body less so.

Must say that drive mechanism looks a lot 'neater' (as an engineering solution) than the big hub motors, although I can't imagine the battery life is too long, he does mention a larger/heavier one for longer journeys.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackWalk

by JackWalk

That was one of the best things I've read in a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Frankie-B, thanks for posting that. The work of that engineer gives me hope for a longer-riding future.

I'd love to have a bike like that, something that would be able to do some extra work when I need it.

antonito12

by antonito12

That article is from 2012. 8 years later still the ebikes are very heavy. The batteries have improved but still are very heavy, and the electric engines too. I bought mine in bicicletas electricas, well it was a kit, and the bikes weight is 23kg. Only the kit weighs about 8kg.
So we'll have to wait few years more to reach lighter e-MTBs :D

SK5

by SK5

30mph top speed with powerful 500W motor, uprated controller . All electric cables cut down and shortened, dashboard removed, throttle ignition switch removed and re-wired direct to the battery, custom made to order 1.8kg 48v battery. Rewelded titanium frame (just the gusset to reinforce the frame) and tons of more work . 10.2kg . My heaviest weight weenie bike but also my fastest .

TheRich

by TheRich

antonito12 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:24 pm
That article is from 2012. 8 years later still the ebikes are very heavy. The batteries have improved but still are very heavy, and the electric engines too. I bought mine in bicicletas electricas, well it was a kit, and the bikes weight is 23kg. Only the kit weighs about 8kg.
So we'll have to wait few years more to reach lighter e-MTBs :D
They're built with extra capacity that adds weight, but in the end, the weight isn't an issue because the bikes are so powerful.

Someone could use a battery with a shorter range, for example, but then you'd have a bunch of upset customers because they're inattentive. 250w of assist seems a little excessive as well, especially with the mandated speed limits for the assist.

They are fun though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com