2014 Scalpel 140mm rear rotor adapter

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WheelTester

by WheelTester

I see 140mm adapters on several Cannondale team bikes but I can not find a place to buy the adapter. Has anyone seen one for sale?

I am looking for one of these - http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... 9er/262408

Thx!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

What's the purpose of running a 140mm rotor if you have to use an adapter like that? It can't be for weight savings, as that adapter surely adds more than a 140mm saves. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand why you would want to limit your braking power for what appears (to me) to have no benefits.

WheelTester

by WheelTester

The 140 mount/adapter is actually smaller than the stock 160 mount. You save weight in both the 140 mount and rotor. Clearance is also an issue for some.

jooo

by jooo

@Colin - Cannondale use their own brake mount standard on a number of bikes so as WheelTester said, the Scalpel still needs an adapter to mount a 160mm rotor. This picture shows the stock 160mm part:

Colin

by Colin

Ah, okay! Thanks for educating me on that one! :thumbup:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

If you're going to run a 140mm rear rotor, you don't need a full suspension bike.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Rather a sweeping statement, disc size is based on worst case usage, you may want a full susser for longer XC events as it reduces fatigue, yet not be descending steep enough hills to need a 160mm disc.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

Depends on too many things to make sweeping statements. Using Shimano XTR 985's with 140mm Hope X2 race discs works out lighter and more powerful in my experience than Formula R1's/ Hope X2/ etc with the larger rotor and adapter required to get the same overall power and control for example. You have to look at things as a system not in isolation

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

no news ?

still not available ?
http://eliflap.it/