XTR 2015

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Benno

by Benno

Well maybe I'll just run the Trail caliper with the Race MC. And yeah of course I wouldn't run those ridiculous finned brake pads, just like I'm not going to run IceTech rotors.

Colin

by Colin

I've got around 300 miles so far on the newish XTR race brakes (same 2 piece caliper as the 9000 brakes), and so far it's been flawless and I expect it will remain that way. As far as the Ice-Tec rotor's go, they may be heavy, but they sure do brake nice! Much nicer than any of the light weight discs I've used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My XTR 987 with 160/140 CL rotors are amazing brakes.

Benno

by Benno

Happy to hear some positive reviews of the Shimano rotors. Back when I stopped using them (970 XTR) we had to warranty them every 3 months as they would develop significant play on the pins and rattle like crazy.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Can I ask a question about the cassette compatibility- do you think this XTR 11-speed cassette will be compatible with SRAM XX1??
I know for instance that the Ultegra 11-speed cassette is compatible with XX1.

It's so that you can potentially use a 10-speed shimano freehub wheel with XX1... yes I know not totally normal!

DanW

by DanW

It's so that you can potentially use a 10-speed shimano freehub wheel with XX1... yes I know not totally normal!

It sounds crazy, like it shouldn't work, but I think it will. That is, XX1 drivetrain with a XTR 11-40 cassette. The spacing between sprockets should be the same between 10 speed, XX1 and new XTR and the XTR cassette just seems to have an offset larger cog to make the extra room for the extra cog, where XX1 has the XD driver to make the room. I don't thinks anyone knows for sure yet but it isn't unthinkable that it would work.

The XX1 cassette is very light for what it is though and XTR cassettes usually come out heavier. The XD driver is also a really neat solution so unless the XTR cassette comes out ridiculously cheap I'd probably stay with XX1 stuff throughout the group. Most people seem to be getting a lot of life out of their XX1 cassettes too so they seem to be a bit of an investment despite the high initial cost...

mattr

by mattr

Might be better once shimano cascade it down to XT and/or slx level.

11 speed cassettes for less than 100 quid.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

DanW wrote:
It sounds crazy, like it shouldn't work, but I think it will. That is, XX1 drivetrain with a XTR 11-40 cassette. The spacing between sprockets should be the same between 10 speed, XX1 and new XTR and the XTR cassette just seems to have an offset larger cog to make the extra room for the extra cog,

Yes! Thanks for the thoughts.
Of course you are right that running a XX1 cassette makes a lot more sense. If only SRAM would come out with a cheaper option... The X01 price has been a rather large disappointment.

DanW

by DanW

I think it is the manufacturing cost of SRAM cassettes that prevent the cheaper, trickle down groupsets. Before their nicely machined one piece cassettes SRAM were making the heaviest, ugliest, poorest shifting cassettes imaginable :D They probably don't want to take that step back :lol:

Bang

by Bang

And what#s with the electronic XTR ??
STORCK REBEL SEVEN CARBON PLATINUM TUNE 27,5"
Cannondale Scalpel 29 Ultimate Carbon TUNE 29"
Scott Scale SL TUNE 26"

http://emanuelschicher.wordpress.com/20 ... x-edition/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For me using a 26" wheeled bike a 11-40 cassette is pretty useless and a max front chainring of 38T is quite limiting. Damm might have to get a 29er.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

What about using a XX1/XO1 cassette with Shimano shifter/mech? That would be my dream set-up. :D

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

Sounds like a great 'possible' setup if the cassette spacing is close enough.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

^ That setup would indeed rock. Let's hope the spacings work!

LAN

by LAN

I have been using a Ultegra CS-6800 11-32 11-speed cassette with XX1 shifter and rd, so the spacing is very similar if not the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com