Sram XD Hubs

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

S1mmo

by S1mmo

Looking for a rear hub to use with XX1/X01, so needs to have a SRAM XD option. I'd like lightweight but also decent number of engagements.

I'm shying away from DT240 simply because I'd need to buy the hub, then buy the XD driver, and then buy the 36t ratchet upgrade if I want faster pickup. That all makes it even more expensive.

American classic 225 looks light, but not great number of engagements.
Hope's new 40t sounds great and cheap, but heavy.

Any other options?

I've also heard about some XD drivers causing creaking. I guess it's a tolerance issue with some manufacturers on the taper part of the interface. Anyone have any experience of this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ridewhenever

by ridewhenever

Tune or wait for CK later this year.

Who were the people who made the hubs with the integrated xx1 cassette.

jooo

by jooo

You want a light hub with fast engagement and don't want to pay much for it? doesn't sound like you're asking much

Basically all good aftermarket manufacturers (apart from CK) and most OEM's now offer XD drivers. There are plenty of options.

The Bitex rear hub is an option at the cheap end of the spectrum.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

ridewhenever wrote:Tune or wait for CK later this year.

Who were the people who made the hubs with the integrated xx1 cassette.

is CK confirmed for an XD this year?

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Dt 240 comes with xd driver now, but as far as I know none of their hubs ship with the 36t ratchets. Have you considered industry nine torch? About $100 less then 240 and supposedly 250g
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

DanW

by DanW

You want a light hub with fast engagement and don't want to pay much for it? doesn't sound like you're asking much

It is quite an ask to find a light, cheap hub with quicker than average pickup. XX1 shouldn't cause any issues as the vast majority of manufacturers should have solutions. You should be able to buy hubs with the XX1 driver fitted as standard so shouldn't have to factor a new freehub in to the cost.

CK is hardly light or cheap. I wouldn't call DT 240 cheap either although they have a great reputation and most people seem happy with the investment. Kappius is light with one of the fastest pickups but not cheap either. Maybe the best option is to go to a site like R2 Bike/ Dulight/ Starbike and browse through the light hubs until one jumps out with the right balance of pickup/ weight/ price for you.

I guess it is easy to find a light, cheapish, reliable hub if you can settle for an average number of teeth in the freehub. Personally, as nice as a quick pickup is, it isn't the deciding factor for me and makes very little difference out on the trail IMO so it was easy to choose American Classic when looking for a light, reliable, good value hub.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

I saw someone up above mentioned Bitex hubs, and they seem to have a good reputation amongst budget weenies on some other forums. I don't know where you are located, but as a skinflint weenie myself, I have been eyeballing the hubs at bikehubstore, which are apparently bitex based, but with USA based consumer direct sales/support. They just added an XD driver equipped model that is comparable in weight to King's, but for, like, 25% of the cost. I saw on another forum that the regular cassette body version of that hub has 48pt engagement, which is pretty good by most standards, but you would probably want to confirm that they haven't downgraded the XD version engagement due to size constraints.

pushstart

by pushstart

I have been using BHS disc hubs (regular Shimano/Sram 10-speed freehub) for past year+ on my commuter/cx bike. The engagements are decent; I also don't think this is that important on non-SS usage, but I don't do as much trail riding. So I have two wheelset; one with around 8k miles has been drama free. The other that in use mainly off-road developed a problem within 500 miles -- spring (looks like a rubber band) holding the pawls down broke. Brandon assumed a bad batch and sent a replacement, easily installed and fixed the issue. Just yesterday after another few hundred miles or so on that wheelset I was noticing a fair bit of pinging coming from the rear hub, which is the sort of noise that prefaced the spring snapping previously. Seems to happen related to torsional forces (shifting weight side to side, turns/body english) mkre than load. So I need to pull that hub apart and see what is going on. Perhaps the batch issue was the hub body, not the pawl spring. That pawl spring design does not seem as robust as e.g. my Hope Pro 2 hub. But again my other BHS hub has been problem-free for many thousands of miles now. And service/support is great from BHS.

Another option is Novatec D712SB hub. I think that hub uses the same design for spring.

I found myself pricing out Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs the other night for if/when this hub does die again. Heavier, but in my experience bomb-proof.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Novatec do an XD driver for there D711/D712 hubs. that what I would use.

S1mmo

by S1mmo

Thanks folks... browsed a while and found the SRAM X0 hub on starbike... lighter than DT and more engagements.

250 grams and 52 points of engagement! Wheel is built up, so far so good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielbahia

by danielbahia

S1mmo wrote:Thanks folks... browsed a while and found the SRAM X0 hub on starbike... lighter than DT and more engagements.

250 grams and 52 points of engagement! Wheel is built up, so far so good!

Hi, have you tried this hub? I'm intended to buy this X.0 pair, but haven't seen reports in forums, only sites like Bikeradar, etc.