Carbon pulleys on XX1 rear mech

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

seismic

by seismic

Hi All,

I have been trying to do some research on if I can install FibreLyte or similar carbon pulleys on a XX1 rear mech. Are there any of you who know if special carbon pulleys are required if I want to install them on a XX1 rear mech or whether they are compatible at all? Heard several places that the spacing of the XX1 pulleys is different that other SRAM rear mechs, which should make the use of standard carbon pulleys an issue.

Anyone knows?

Brgds
seicmic

S1mmo

by S1mmo

seismic wrote:Hi All,

I have been trying to do some research on if I can install FibreLyte or similar carbon pulleys on a XX1 rear mech. Are there any of you who know if special carbon pulleys are required if I want to install them on a XX1 rear mech or whether they are compatible at all? Heard several places that the spacing of the XX1 pulleys is different that other SRAM rear mechs, which should make the use of standard carbon pulleys an issue.

Anyone knows?

Brgds
seicmic

Definitely different jockey wheels. XX1 is 12t, while X0 and other 10 speed is 11t.

Whether the size difference would affect performance, I don't know. You'd need to make sure the axle and bearing is compatible too.

It'd be interesting for someone to experiment...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Any 12T jockey wheel should be fine. Unless you live in a permanently dry place I wouldn't go for carbon. I am using 12T KCNC jockey wheels with a Fibre-Lyte inner mech plate on XX1 and it works perfectly. The other benefit of the Fibre Lyte cage is standard jockey bolts can be use rather than the two different sized ones required for the SRAM mech cage. It means a nice pair of KCNC jockey bolts can also be added to the tuning :D Only around 25g saved but all saved g's are useful :wink:

stuka666

by stuka666

Was going to post that same link dwaharvey :D

mtbmarcus

by mtbmarcus

Like this?

Image Image Image

Bye
Marcus

seismic

by seismic

mtbmarcus wrote:Like this?

Image Image Image

Bye
Marcus

Yes, like that. Which pulleys are those, how many teeth and do they hold up in the mud?

mtbmarcus

by mtbmarcus

Hi,

they are new and selfmade. But not from me. A guy from light-bikes.de made them. They have 12 teeth and the same diameter of the originals. I think there will be no problem in the mud. Because of the bad weather here in Germany I did not try it yet.

Bye
Marcus

seismic

by seismic

mtbmarcus wrote:Hi,

they are new and selfmade. But not from me. A guy from light-bikes.de made them. They have 12 teeth and the same diameter of the originals. I think there will be no problem in the mud. Because of the bad weather here in Germany I did not try it yet.

Bye
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

That is just awesome. Any chance he is selling to fellow weight weenies?

DanW

by DanW

I think there will be no problem in the mud. Because of the bad weather here in Germany I did not try it yet.

One statement seems to contradict the other! Seismic, I would contact someone like Fibre Lyte who make great stuff but are very open and honest to see if they think carbon jockeys are suitable for mud. As far as I am aware manufacturers have always indicated the wear rate would be unacceptably high on a carbon jockey in mud but it would be interesting to double check. I personally wouldn't ever consider carbon jockeys to save 5g over the tried and tested KCNC with the conditions we have here in the UK

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Ask you asked….. :D

Carbon pulleys are fine in rain and light mud but I would never advise them in heavy conditions. If the mud is thick and mixes in with grit, that can get embedded between the chain and pulleys and at best cause excess wear and at worst try to split the laminate. That said, there are a number of alloy pulleys that are not so great in very muddy conditions. I still think that the best pulleys in those conditions are plastic based with brass plain bearings (bushes), but they're not very weenie.

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

This guy on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/joechaimuirothshekbikeparts/ makes all kinds of Carbon Jockey wheels...his are full carbon, not sandwiched? I'm pretty sure he will custom make them for you as well.

I think mine weighed about 8 grams for the pair, and I've been using them for about a year with no problems.

A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

Jaker

by Jaker

Apileoftile wrote:This guy on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/joechaimuirothshekbikeparts/ makes all kinds of Carbon Jockey wheels...his are full carbon, not sandwiched?

I have used his pulleys in the past, and had a few issues with the carbon pulley moving on the bearing because the glue joint let go making rear shifting inconsistant. Has he resolved these issue?

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

? I wouldn't know. I have had zero issues with mine it consistently shifts perfectly....but if I guess if I start having problems I will know where to look.
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ole

by Ole

I just put a pair of Extralite 9g pullies on my XX1, and it shifts just fine. The Extralite pullies use dual bearings to keep the pulley as rigid as possible.