26 vs. 29'er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Westifer12

by Westifer12

Has anybody come across anything formally comparing the differences between 29ers and 26" bikes :?:

I personally feel like my 29er rides much faster than my 26" bike but it has been brought to my attention that it could simply be a matter of perception and seeing as how my 26" bike is on the other side of the US I can't exactly ride the same trail back to back and see how I do...

Please, no "I feel like _______"; I understand the things to theoretically weight against one another but would love to see some hard proof either way!
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

Mountain Bike Action did a comparison of two entry level Cannondales (March 2011). The had good detail on weight and ergonomics on a the pair of $1000 bikes. It was somewhat helpful and at a minimum interesting. Take it for what it is.

Westifer12

by Westifer12

Thanks I'll look into it!
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

powxxl

by powxxl

gary fisher came up with 29ers as a new branding gag to create a whole new market segment,

nitropowered

by nitropowered

it depends.

it depends on your riding style, it depends on the trail (technical or not), there is no clear cut, 2x is better. Use the correct tools for the job

Westifer12

by Westifer12

nitropowered wrote:it depends.
2x is better

Yeah, yeah, I know I hoped to see some super cool, geeked out experiment getting into more than just these two points but there what I keep coming back to also.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I read a test in a German mag where they used a couple of the "same" bike in 26" and 29", two riders and powertap wheels and on their course the 29" bikes were faster at the samer power output.

If that would be the case for you and where you ride... :noidea:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

kevbikemad

by kevbikemad

The best thing is do your own test, on a loop where you know how fast you can really go on a 26 - judge for yourself.

Other have done the same - recently is Sauser. (scroll down to his entry from 21.01.2011) - 29er won, Up and Down.
http://sauserwind.com/diary.asp

SingleTrack.com has done some tests - but not very well - read to find out why (no standing out of corners???)

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2011/ ... -dead_3050

I have the luxury of both right now, they are REALLY close on most tracks (within seconds). Both bikes are within 1/2lb, same tires most of the time for training (Ravens 2.2s).

REALLY tight trails, I will give a small advantage too the 26, but everywhere else, 29er. Up, down, smooth, rough, traction, stability - it's just a tiny bit better at everything. I have done my own back to back test a few times on a few different trails.

The one time the 29er had a HUGE advantage was on a long (for here) very rocky and rough, but moderate, middle ring climb. The 29er was about 20-25 seconds faster on a 5 minute climb... I couldn't believe it, so I repeated on both bikes - same results. After that, I was convinced.
blah, blah, blah

Westifer12

by Westifer12

Thanks Kevin,

Unfortunately my 26 in is Boston and I am here is Seattle :(

I wanted to hear this sort of thing from somebody, it's great how you really broke it down so much. I felt those differences but also haven't been on my 26 HT for over 2 years.

shill

by shill

i got my hardtail 29er last summer, before that i had a full suspension 26" bike. i got to ride both bikes on the same trail under almost the same conditions. the trail we ride is called goodman creek close to eugene,OR. it is 7 miles up to the top and 7 miles back down. it is a good mix of smooth single track, tight twisty switchbacks and rutted out rocky, rooty trail. the great thing is you come down the same trail you went up. so you get to go through everything both acsending and decsending. i was way faster on the 29er both ways. the 29er climbs like a dream and flys down descents. even in the rocky, rooted stuff the 29er blew over it like it was smooth. i felt in more controll than on my full suspension 26" bike even in the roughest stuff. i guess you need to test ride several to find the best fit for you. i know once you really ride one you will say goodbye to your 26" bike.

scott

Westifer12

by Westifer12

ziptie

by ziptie

depends on your terrain/riding style. 29ers roll over obstacles much easier than a 26 but i still feel that the 26 is a little more nimple in the tight turns.

WinSuits

by WinSuits

I think that the 29'er revolution is a sale ploy brought upon the cycling consumer.

Sure, it can be faster on certain tracks, but most of the time, the 26'er will win because it's more nimble.

What do you think?

Comments about the weight of the 26 vs. 29'er are encouraged.
Thx.

Westifer12

by Westifer12

See 29 vs 26?!?! thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82913

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

I've ridden 29ers for 3 years. I have had 29in hardtails that weigh as little as 10.9kg.

I am faster on a 26in bike in every situation. More agile, better acceleration, can correct your lines in the middle of corners, lighter, easier to loft the front and trials hop in really techy sections. Easier to drift too :D

I think a 26in hardtail and a 120mm travel enduro/trail bike will be how my stable will be configured from now on. Perhaps a single speed training bike too.