HELP NEEDED! Custom di2 29 build (very early stage)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ilovedrops

by ilovedrops

Greetings weight weenies! I need some help from you wise guys. Does anybody know where could i order type 2 direct mount adapter to braze-on beside from K-edge? Ive sent like 3 letters to them about the adapter but they havent answered me at all. Notice that i live in Estonia.
Same goes for the company: ceetec company

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I just sent them a message, because I'm thinking of doing this, myself. I'll let you know what I hear.

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

I too inquired at K Edge and actually got a call back but he said to send him an email and he would get back to me... guess what, he never followed up! Terrible customer service! I think they are more interested in selling you the entire modified group than the pieces to do it yourself. All you need is derailleur cage, front derailleur mount and shifters. I just upgraded my SL4 to 9070 and have a the old 7970 ready to go on the 29er.
R2.5 / R3 / S-Works 29er (20 lbs) / S-Works SL4 Di2 (14.7 lbs)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You don't even need the shifters from them (they're normal climbing satellite shifters). I'm not sure if 7970 will work on a mountain bike, though. How do the satellite shifters have to be wired? I know that on e-tube, they can plug into the junction box directly, but I thought that 7970 required the satellite shifters to go to the road shifters, and from there to the junction box, but I may be mistaken.

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

The satellite shifter will work on the right side but not not the left due to ergonomics (this goes for both 9070 and 7970). The plug has to be cut off the end of the A junction wiring harness that goes into the lever and cut off of the satellite shifter then you soldier the wires together. The satellite shifters still fetch $150 so I am thinking about doing Cateye buttons for both front and rear derailleurs. Maybe place one on each side of the brake lever clamp. The E-tube system has its advantages with easy of assembly but the original 7970 is less complex (not a Canbus system) so it can be hacked easier. I have yet to see an E-tube on a MTB, they are all DA 7970 with some type of custom hack wiring for the shifters.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I did hear back from K-Edge. Their initial response was to go through a bike shop, but the person I spoke to advised me that they make a Direct Mount and S2S3 mount. As for the rear derailleurs, they usually do the conversion in-house, and ship it back.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I received some more information. You may want to sit down for it.

Just for the rear conversion, K-Edge charges $335 if you supply your own derailleur. That's too steep for my blood!

mpower

by mpower

CerveloMikey wrote:The satellite shifter will work on the right side but not not the left due to ergonomics (this goes for both 9070 and 7970). The plug has to be cut off the end of the A junction wiring harness that goes into the lever and cut off of the satellite shifter then you soldier the wires together. The satellite shifters still fetch $150 so I am thinking about doing Cateye buttons for both front and rear derailleurs. Maybe place one on each side of the brake lever clamp. The E-tube system has its advantages with easy of assembly but the original 7970 is less complex (not a Canbus system) so it can be hacked easier. I have yet to see an E-tube on a MTB, they are all DA 7970 with some type of custom hack wiring for the shifters.

Can share more details about the satellite switch mod for the 9070 mtb thingy? Can't I just plug the satellite switch directly into junction A? Will it work this way?

ilovedrops

by ilovedrops

Finally got a reply from the k-edge from their facebook page. the gadget costs around 100 dollars with shipping included from USA to Estonia.

To user Mpower: the satellite switch needs to be adjusted with the e-tube program, otherwise the switch thinks its a rear switch only. Dont know currently how many gears does it read 10 or 11 but sure let you know when the build progresses!

motorapido

by motorapido

I'm working on a 1 x 10 Ultegra Di2 build on my Scott Scale Pro 29er at the moment using the following.

34 tooth Hope ring up front,
Shimano XT 11-36 tooth 10 speed cassette with the 15 & 17 rings removed and replaced with a Durace 16 tooth,
and a One Up components 42 tooth cassette ring.
so its now an 11-42 10 speed cassette,

Ultegra Di2 rear mech with modified B spring tension, modified Ultegra GS rear mid cage, and a custom machined front mech cage, i will post some pics once its back from the anodisers, i may have a few spares if there is any interest.

internal wiring run Ultegra set up switch box and a modified Alfine Di2 switch lever, i only modded the clamp to fit too a Formula R1 matchmaker.

the whole lot works fine on the stand and test rides so just getting a better looking cage plate made up.

As long as you use the PC interface box to set everything up through E tube ( which finally works with Windows 8) it all works fine.

to me this seems an easier mod for the shifter rather than the satellite switches, i haven't cracked the Alfine swtich unit open but reckon it could be switched to left or right mounting without too much effort, and i guess it could be prgrammed to be front or back shifter from the Etube software.

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

Post up pics of the shifter and cassette!

mattyNor

by mattyNor

That's a really cool sounding set up, I'm really looking forward to those pics!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Handbike

by Handbike

Hello, very new to the forum. I am seeking info on custom shifters for di2 ultegra etube. Am I of the correct understanding that you need to hack an existing shifter to gain the necessary protocols? Or the brains of the system is the junction boxes? I ride a Handcycle and do not need the conventional brake shifter set up. Any thoughts? Thanks.

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

Handbike wrote:Hello, very new to the forum. I am seeking info on custom shifters for di2 ultegra etube. Am I of the correct understanding that you need to hack an existing shifter to gain the necessary protocols? Or the brains of the system is the junction boxes? I ride a Handcycle and do not need the conventional brake shifter set up. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Where are your shifters located? You could probably use the 2 button climbing shifter that zip ties on to the handle bar. No hacking necessary. The "brain" is in the derailleur.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Trick Tech: Martyn Ashton's Colnago C59 Disc + video, his bike get 2 satellite shifters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIAuV8Qbek&list=UUuTaETsuCOkJ0H_GAztWt0Q