1x crankset suggestions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Slightly OT but related....

dwaharvey- why the change from Hollowgrams to Next SL's? Is there something about the Hollowgram set up that isn't optimal for XX1 or did you just fancy a change?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

damond

by damond

dwaharvey wrote:@damond: Do a google search about it... you'll find that they achieved it by eliminating the cups that are normally used to house BB92 bearings; instead the outer race of the bearing has the shape of the cup (with lip to control insertion depth). The claim is merely that the balls within the bearing are the same size as the balls within a standard BB bearing for 24mm spindle (but the increased ID from 24->30mm means there are more balls in the RF bb).

I knew that already about THM cups, didn't know RF made the same. Anyway, not an option to me because it means that for all the effects, the outer race of the bearing is also the BB cup which may be a bigger source of problems, specially if you ride much with mud condition it is not that strange that sometimes the bearings get stuck...now imagine this scenario with a bearing which's race is also the bb cup!

Seems the clavicula is staying hanging around and XX1 cranks are assembled for good!

jooo

by jooo

DanW wrote:Slightly OT but related....

dwaharvey- why the change from Hollowgrams to Next SL's? Is there something about the Hollowgram set up that isn't optimal for XX1 or did you just fancy a change?

I'm interested in this also, seeing as the arm weights are almost identical right? Did you use the same spindle? Apparently the spline is the same for the 2 cranks...

DanW

by DanW

Direct mount ring with Hollowgram SISL2's should be within 5g of the Raceface Next SL hence why I wondered if the Hollowgrams have a particularly poor chainline or something similar prompting a change? Hollowgrams could be even lighter than Next SL's with a custom spindle such as the EP 57g one.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

DanW, jooo... they're on a different bike (carbon hardtail). I still have the hollowgrams SiSL2s on the Funk. Chainline is essentially the same between Hollowgram/Leonardi-racing/XX1-ring vs RaceFace direct mount. Weight-wise pretty similar also. I actually had a set of used SiSL cranks and Leonardi spider that I was going to use on the new bike, but I'd have needed to order a $200 BB and bottom bracket spindle (lipless) from Europe to get them to work. I had the option for a great deal on the RaceFace cranks, and I felt like they matched the carbon frame really nicely. So that made more sense to me, in concert with selling the Hollowgram SiSLs and spider (they're advertized in the for-sale area).

Edit: I guess I could have just tried to get the RaceFace spindle only, because as Jooo pointed out the splines are compatible... but like I said, I decided the RF cranks would match better, and I wanted to give them a try.

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for the feedback, glad to know both are good options :D

AdyM

by AdyM

Any one tried/know anyone who's tried the aerozine x one crank? Seems incredibly light

DanW

by DanW

I forget exactly what the issues were but most people seemed to have problems with the Aerozine crank if I remember correctly

maybeBadger

by maybeBadger

Hey I know this is an old thread and all, but it gets really off topic and no one mentions using a shim for a sram bb to a shimano bb or just using a wheels manufacturing eccentric bb, they make a 24/22 version (although this bb wasn't around when this thread was started). From my experience if your alright with the red color the wheels manufacturing eccentric is the best of the bunch.

A GXP XX1/X01/X0 crankset with this bb has to be my recommendation for a solid/semi-lightweight setup. Although the Raceface Next SL crankset is the best if you are not running an eccentric bb setup.