Anyone know of links to weight weenie trail bike builds?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Nice build, some heavier tires would put it at say 11.3 or so but still respectable. Haven't weighed the norco, but claimed weight is roughly 13kg with pedals. My internal scale tends to agree with that weight. Not too bad seeing as it has a dropper post, tire that weigh 750 grams each and a heavy wheelset with tubes. Hope to get it down to 12kg with a new wheelset, tires, tubeless, carbon bars, shorter stem and internal dropper post. Then I'll pretty much leave it at that.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I just picked my Fuel Ex 9.8 X01 29er up on Monday. Have replaced the Reverb with a Bontrager XXX Lite post & changed to a lighter saddle, but that's about it so far. Comes in at around 11.75kg with peddles & bottle cage. Going to switch over to tubeless soon, so that should bring it down to 11.25kg as I will be switching to some slightly lighter/faster tyres at the same time. Want to build up a set of XC race wheels, somewhere around 1300-1400g should be possible I think, so those paired to some lighter tyres should bring the weight down nearer 10.5kg without any trouble. I'm going to be using it as my marathon & XC race bike as well as my every day trail bike, so can't have anything too fragile on there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Looking for new tires but don't have so much space. Anyone know a great 27,5" tire that isn't higher than Racing Ralph in 2,25"? Nobby Nic is on the limit with Sun Ringe rims. I'm using Crests on Racing Ralph.

madsedan

by madsedan

I went from Racing Ralphs to crossmarks, happy with them so far, just make sure you get the light EXC models as they have several options in 27.5. They are stated at 510g each in 27.5 x 2.10.
I'd like to try the new Thunder Burts as well, crazy light and reviews show high cornering grip.

Marin

by Marin

cerro wrote:Looking for new tires but don't have so much space. Anyone know a great 27,5" tire that isn't higher than Racing Ralph in 2,25"? Nobby Nic is on the limit with Sun Ringe rims. I'm using Crests on Racing Ralph.

It's your bike and you have to do what you must, but to me it sounds like you have your priorities wrong - you have a nice 26" trail bike you mount 650b wheels to that don't really fit, and now you run novelty tires because proper ones won't go in?

I would suggest getting a nice 26" wheelset with 23-25mm internal width light rims (alu or carbon) and fit proper 60mm tires, Mountain King IIs or Maxxis dual compounds. This will have nearly the same outer diameter as your current wheels and ride, grip and dampen much, much better.

cerro

by cerro

Marin: Fit's perfect as it is now. Just moved 500km too so completely new terrain. Will check it out before but thinking of changing to another wheelset, and looking at Mavic Enduro or maybe some American Classic if they still have 26" as I should get good price on them.

Marin

by Marin

I'd look at light bicycle wide carbon rims, the make them in 26"!

tooFATtoRIDE

by tooFATtoRIDE

Marin wrote:Image

My Stumpy S-Works @ "build 11.7kgs with proper tires. I wouldn't hesitate to ride park with it (have a dedicated park bike for that).

I could save maybe 200g by going to carbon rims, but apart from that any further weight dropped would reduce the functionality. Rides like a dream!

Hi,

Would you happen to have a build spec somewhere?

Marin

by Marin

Stumpjumper Specs are roughly:

Wheels: Novatec lightsomething, DT Revo/comp, Amride25 rims
Mountainking II 2.4 tires Racesport front, Protection rear, tubeless

Stumpy S-Works Frame Size L with Evo Shock (without "Brain")

Magura MT Custom Brakes (would go Shimano XT(R) now)

Pro Carbon Bars with selfmade extenders
Funn 45mm Stem
RS Revelation Dual Air

XTR crank with 22/36
XT Shadow plus derailleur
XT Shifters
XT 11-36 cassette

Selle SLR Ti on KS Dropper Post
ESI Grips

New: 280g Welllgo Magnesium platform pedals, Carbon Ti 10g seap clamp

tooFATtoRIDE

by tooFATtoRIDE

Hi,
Many thanks for the spec.

Is the weight for Wellgo Magnesium pedals confirmed or quoted?

Marin

by Marin

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/original ... 68822.html

I have these on my commuter, the really came in under 250g and they have a nice large platform and loads of grip. Very low profile, too.

I have another set of non-Xpedo Wellg0 Mags in a nice Ti color that are similar but quite a bit cheaper and they still come in at 300g - these are on the Stumpy now.
Last edited by Marin on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Found the pic:

tooFATtoRIDE

by tooFATtoRIDE

Marin wrote:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/original-wellgo-pedal-xpedo-xmx24mc-ultra-light-magnesium-alloy-pedal-243g-24ac/1978668822.html

I have these on my commuter, the really came in under 250g and they have a nice large platform and loads of grip. Very low profile, too.

I have another set of non-Xpedo Wellg Mags in a nice Ti color that are similar but quite a bit cheaper and they still come in well under 300g - these are on the Stumpy now.

Many thanks for that. 250g is seriously lightweight for a platform pedal. Do you know if they have a rider weight limit on them?

Marin

by Marin

No but I'm almost 80kg and they have held up fine. They feel at least as substantial as the 350g HT AE03 they replaced.

I don't bang rocks a lot though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Wanted to add they the Xpedos have _drilled_ CrMo axles!