BB92 Options?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

raganwald

by raganwald

Bit of a newbie question... I have taken delivery of an Ibis Mojo SL-R frame and I'm thinking about doing a lightweight-ish build. I understand it takes a BB92 bottom bracket. What are my BB and crank options? I've been riding SS for a few years, so I'm leaning towards 1x10 or 1x11.

Thoughts? And thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Maggo

by Maggo

Raceface Next SL is in the price/weight category in its own league, with 1x10 or 11 setup well below 500 g. Ordered, but not yet received, so no first hand. See thread in this forum about Clavigulas as well. I have shimanos BB92 bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

BB92 looks pretty versatile. Enduro makes a BB92 - BB30 adapter. Not sure how good it is, but might want to give it a look. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id258.html

Enduro makes decent bearings, but I've found that the grease they use isn't very water resistant, and your bottle sweat will eventually destroy them. Your best bet is to remove the seal, flush out the bearing with a cleaner, then repack it with a better waterproof grease (I have been using marine grease, available at any fishing or trailer supply store). This applies to both the standard steel and ceramic bearings.

In terms of cranks, you'll be looking at any Shimano offering or a SRAM GXP crank, unless you use an adapter.

jooo

by jooo

Kinda... but don't confuse the issue, it's not a BB30 adapter. There is no way for a 'normal' BB30 crank to work in a BB92 shell (there are exceptions but they all require modification or 'non standard' parts eg: SiSL arms with NextSL or DrCannondale spindle).

Any cranks that work with 73mm, outboard bearing BB's will work with BB92 as the bearings are in the same place, but housed in plastic cups instead of threaded aluminum ones.

KvnP

by KvnP

You know that you can use a BB92 RF bottom bracket and use any 24mm spindle crankset ?

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Race-Fa ... racket.axd
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xc71

by xc71

For the SLR I would go RF Next SL with a spiderless chainring.