Anyone using 2013/14 Formula R1's?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

Thinking about new brakes and have had 2011 R1's which I quickly replaced with XTR985's due to the very tight pad-rotor clearance which was driving me nuts. Either thinking of Formula R1 Racing's or the new XTR 987's.

The R1's were a massive PITA to set up without rubbing and seemed different from one day to the next. I seemed to get very poor pad life and also found that on long descents in the wet I would lose all power and the lever would pull back to the bars (but that is a whole different issue).

It seems the very small pistons were not the smoothest to retract and often didn't sit exactly square in the calipers and there wasn't a lot anyone could do about it- just live with the rubbing.

So, in 2013 Formula introduced their "Enhanced Caliper Technology" which the reckon increases pad-rotor clearance and should make the operation of the pistons much smoother.

So, do you guys running 2013/14 R1's still get very tight pad-rotor clearance or are they just as reliable and trouble free as Shimano brakes?

Ta!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Wondering the same.

How are the new R1 with re-designed master cylinder? Any issues?

How is the pad clearance most importantly? Any thoughts form users much appreciated.

I would like to try new xtr 987 but the all polished silver color keeps me off.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

DanW

by DanW

Good to resurrect this!

My XTR 985's have been faultless but the R1's are a fair bit lighter and better looking as you say Chris. The 987 are barely and lighter than 985 but everyone seems very happy with how they work. XTR aren't pretty or light but they are truly fit and forget.... unlike my experiences with 2011 R1's.

Anyone got experiences with the ECT generation R1's?

gnosp

by gnosp

Also interested in any input regarding the new generation of R1s, particularly compared to M985/M987. Was pad/rotor clearance the only significant change from the previous R1 generation?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Last year's R1 had much improved pad clearance compared to previous years. Not as good as XTR, however.

No experience with the current gen R1 brakes.

DanW

by DanW

Last year's R1 had much improved pad clearance compared to previous years.

This is what I keep hearing as the theory...

No experience with the current gen R1 brakes

... but this is also what I keep hearing as the reality

Is no-one really riding the latest R1's? Maybe the older ones and their quirks have been ebough to convert everyone to XTR :D

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I switched to the new XTR M987 race brakes.

They are awesome. Light enough for me and tons of pad clearance. They do not, however, have as much initial bite as an R1. The modulation is outstanding, though.

devinci

by devinci

Don't want to highjack the thread, but what type of pads are you running with you 987?

I feel mine are lacking initial power and the lever sometimes feel soft and builds up stiffer as I brake (heating up? I did bleed the system.

DanW

by DanW

I use cheapy Ashima pads with my 985's and they lack some initial power but have great modulation. They have been bled recently but still have a fair amount of lever travel and "soft"/ lack of bite feel. I think this is normal. My new XT brakes on the other hand are more adjustable to reduce the lever travel and are so grabby it is hard to ride without locking up the rear wheel or throwing yourself over the bars! These are the stock Shimano finned pads but I think it is more to do with the different levers and calipers vs XTR...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I'm running the stock organic (?) pads with the XT level Ice Tec rotors (because I need 6 bolt).

jimborello

by jimborello

Im currently riding the new 2014 Formula R1 racing with the pull cylinder. They are light and sexy and they work great. The polished look is not for everyone but I think it looks great on my bike. I also have the new XTR and they are also awesome. You cant go wrong with any of these choices, if you like the looks and a grabbier and more expensive brake go with Formula. If you wan a brake with a little more modulation and with a more set and forget setup go with Shimano XTR (and cheaper).

DanW

by DanW

What is not so set and forget on the current R1's Jim vs your XTR? Is the pad-rotor clearance still really tight and is it still really hard to set them up without some rubbing?

psycling

by psycling

I'm running 2011 R1's and have all of the issues described by the OP. Is the consensus at this point that the best bet is to just replace these brakes with something newer? It's kind of a shame b/c they aren't exactly cheap brakes. But I'm tired of issues with rubbing and constant adjustment. I, too, have been looking at some of the new XTR (and perhaps XT) brakes with interest, but would love it if there was some good solution to make the older R1s less fussy.

FWIW, I'm finding myself interested in reliability, serviceability, low maintenance, and solid braking performance over weight for this particular setup.

nunokas

by nunokas

DanW wrote:What is not so set and forget on the current R1's Jim vs your XTR? Is the pad-rotor clearance still really tight and is it still really hard to set them up without some rubbing?

Hi.

New poster long time lurker :D

I'm using the new 2014 R1 racing in a XC style build and they are night and day compared with my old set of RX (superb brakes by the way).

Modulation and weight are the capital words to describe them.

It's so difficult to find user info/review about this brakes (and harder to see them on the trails) in a "ocean" of shimano parts that could be interesting to join any experiences with these brakes in this topic 8)

regards

nunokas

by nunokas

Hi

Pad clearance is very good. No rubbing pads after some long burning descents and the two piece rotors, albeit a bit heavier than standart formula rotors, seem more silent too :wink:

regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com