Clavicula DP crankset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ole

by Ole

Anybody have any experience with the THM Clavicula crankset lately? I'm running a Lightning HD with OctaOne chainring from Extralite, the whole setup weigs 476g plus BB. I've also used a standard Lightning, but they don't hold up to my riding style, a bit to much jumping perhaps, even though it's my XC race bike.

Now, the Clavicula DP weighs considerably less, it would end up at 352g plus BB with the same setup as above. But can I expect it to last? I weigh 80kg and ride my 20lb FS XC race bike pretty hard, but no more than 50cm drops on that bike.

Anybody know of some other lightweight alternatives out there that would last? Tune Blackfoot? Mythic? Nordischer Rahmenbau? Can't seem to find much info on any of them.

Thnx.

Ole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've used the dp on my last few bikes and have been really happy with it, though I am a light rider. The build quality of the thm is definitely better than the lightning and the crank should hold up well. However you might also look at the raceface next sl.

Ole

by Ole

Thanks for the input. I know of several people who have had pedal inserts come loose, axle spline deteriorate and bearing preload threads come loose.

The Next SL is nice, but I won't save enough weight to make it worth the change from the Lightning HD I'm using now.

kolarzyk

by kolarzyk

I've used DP with XX1 since June this year in racing on world cups and few world series marathons in different conditions. I'm really impressed with strength of these cranks and considering the weight of complete set bb(423grams!!!) nothing is better. I'm not the lightest about 73-74kg and the cranks still hold good.

Ced

by Ced

what brand rings did you use to covert your Clavicula to XX1 ?

kolarzyk

by kolarzyk

Race Face 34 for single with e13 XCX , narrow- wide rings weren't available yet when i was assembling the bike. Worked without any issue i never had any chain drops. For coming season i'm going to use standard chainring with XCX guide too. I don't belive in this X-Syns stuff it just doesn't work in real world of racing, i've seen too many fails.

seismic

by seismic

kolarzyk wrote:Race Face 34 for single with e13 XCX , narrow- wide rings weren't available yet when i was assembling the bike. Worked without any issue i never had any chain drops. For coming season i'm going to use standard chainring with XCX guide too. I don't belive in this X-Syns stuff it just doesn't work in real world of racing, i've seen too many fails.

So have you had any issues in regards to mounting/running a single chainring on the Clavicula DP with the XX1 cassette? I was considering getting a Clavicula M3 crank set, but now wondering if it would be an advantage to get the DP instead and just run it with a single chainring together with the rest of the XX1 setup. It would at least be lighter than the M3 setup and unless there is something I missed, I cannot see the advantages of the M# over the DP if not in need of changing the spider or go SRM. Any thoughts?

jooo

by jooo

@seismic - It will work fine, the only downside is that you can't run any smaller than a 30 tooth ring.

seismic

by seismic

jooo wrote:@seismic - It will work fine, the only downside is that you can't run any smaller than a 30 tooth ring.

Thank you for the info. Then I guess I should go for the DP rather than M3 simply due to the weight savings.

seismic

by seismic

jooo wrote:@seismic - It will work fine, the only downside is that you can't run any smaller than a 30 tooth ring.

Jooo,
Do you know how to mount a single chainring on the Clavicula DP carbon spider without the chainring bolts having any negative effect on the carbon spider? Normally, when using 2 chainrings, the chainrings will protect the spider as the bolts will touch the chainrings only and not the carbon spider when bolting the chainrings together around the spider. How do you avoid this if using a Clavicula DP with a single chairing ?

Further, if you mount the single chainring where you would normally have the largest chainring (outer), will the rear part of the chainring bolts not need some kind of spacer in order to avoid ending up inside the chainring bolt hole of the spider?

Hope someone can provide a bit of clarity.

Thank you

jooo

by jooo

Mount it on the inside. It's closer to the stock XX1 chainline.

You should use some kind of washer/spacer against the outside spider tabs as you've guessed eg:

Sonny

by Sonny

Hi seismic,

You can order a custom carbon bash guard from fibrelyte to protect the spider (instead of the outer chainring). Avoid the chainring bolts contact the spider directly and strengthen the carbon spider too.

seismic

by seismic

Hi Sonny,

Do you know if the bash guard will prevent the issue seen 2/3 down the page in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101405

It looks like there is a risk of braking the carbon spider if using one chainring only on the Clavicula which it seems THM is also warning the thread starter about.

SpeedJunkie

by SpeedJunkie

Always loved Clavicula DP MTB but never had the means and courage to own it until now. Pardon my lack of knowledge as there isn't too much I could find, using this crank for 1x. As a fun project, I am wanting to build a ww mtb for speed chases, Thus I am hoping to use a 44t and would be progressing to 50t eventually. How can I convert the clavicula to 1x? By the way, I am a 90kg rider.

Thanks guys...Many Thanks in advance! :)

Sandal

by Sandal

the only extra thing you need in order to use single ring on "regular" Clav crank (not the new one, M3) is the washer protecting the spider form the bolts pressure. Regular 44t ring will work fine on the outer position. It would be hard to find a frame that would accept 44t in the middle though. My C'dale Flash, (2013) accepts 34t max in the middle, f.e.

P.S. nice light solid crank, but requires very careful and proper installation.
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com