1x shimano crankset, M980 vs M9000

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

im looking for a nice SHIMANO 1x crankset to lighten my race rig for next year. I plan on switch back and forth between my SRAM SRM powermeter and the 1x SHIMANO crank for racing. I have a little adapter ring to make both fit in the same BB.

My question is, what would you guys do? Wait for the M9000 crankset or pick up a nice M980 crankset? The drawback with the M9000 is I think it will use a proprietary BCD while the M980 uses a 104 BCD. The other drawback is if im stuck with 11spd chainring on the M9000 due to the special BCD it may not work adequatly on my 10spd drivetrain.

What do you think?

silver

by silver

Go for M980. In addition to the benefits you already listed, it's a beauty compared to 9000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Why not a RaceFace Next?

devinci

by devinci

cause I want a shimano XTR crank, I like the look

silver

by silver

If we talk about looks, then 980 is a beauty and 9000 a beast. At least for my eyes :wink:

AdyM

by AdyM

M980, so nice and having a standard chainring is a lot nicer and cheaper to replace / change for different conditions

devinci

by devinci

M980 odered!!

It will be used with a 32T RF ring and a ethirteen XCX chainguide.

silver

by silver

:thumbup:

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Devinci, just out of curiousity, are you getting a narrow/wide ring? If so, do you have a clutch derailleur? As you are probably aware, chances are you will be able to ditch that chainguide and save some grams...this being weightweenies and all! I was iffy about going bare up front myself, but I have slowly been won over, with no dropping issues since going for that combo myself this past spring.

devinci

by devinci

Thekaiser

yep I have the XTR clutch derailleur and will be going with a raceface NW 32T ring. Im not sure about going sans-chainguide. I see a lot of guys at races using XX1 with chainguides!!!! Saying their chain droped way too often. The XTR clutch is pretty soft too so im not sure it would be a safe bet, given I am racing a lot, I don't want to come across such a mistake during a race.

msl0

by msl0

I've seen more dropped chains with the RaceFace NW than any other, I really don't think they made their teeth 'big' enough.

I'd recommend a wolf tooth or absolute black. Also, make sure you tighten up the clutch on the XTR rear derailleur - only time I dropped a chain this year (after racing whole canada cup series) was after Nat's on a training ride, and the clutch had loosened up as expected with a lot of use.

I also think full suspension makes a big difference. Most dropped chains I've seen have been people that still race hard tails.

devinci

by devinci

Thanks for your comment on the RF rings.

Any particular maintenance I should check for on the clutch system after a full season of riding?

Chances are I will be rocking the FS next year instead of my ht

msl0

by msl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4c5gcAaDM

Skip to about 55 seconds in.

Or: http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 04-ENG.pdf Page 19

I've found after most of a season it takes a little more than the half turn he mentions, but you don't want it so tight that it won't shift properly.

Nice, with the dual remote lockouts now there's no reason not to be on a dually.

devinci

by devinci

thanks

keep looking, my Rocky Mountain Element should end up being a cool build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

I have the RF on three bikes. One HT and two FS. No drop issues on two bikes. On one of the FS bikes...the chain will drop only on the two outer small cogs.