HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best pedals
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:49 pm 
Administrator

I ran the titanium Time ATAC for many years. Just a great pedal. Easy to get into whether dry or muddy.

After building my Fixie I grabbed a set of Xpedo M-Force 4b. About the same weight as the Time and function very well. I wanted a two side pedal since it's a fixed gear and also wanted shoes I can walk in for commuting. I liked them well enough that I bought a set of the M - Force 4 A for my cross bike. These have titanium axles and came in at 230 grams for the pair. They use three sealed bearings in each pedal. I found mine quite inexpensively with free shipping from Niagara Cycles.

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:49 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:45 pm 

Crank brothers for me. Great performance, easy to clip in/out, cheap to re-build.

Xpedo might have had some changes recently, because a few years ago I only read how cheap and useless they are.

Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Xpedo might have had some changes recently, because a few years ago I only read how cheap and useless they are.

I think this is what kept me off them for so long too but the latest Xpedo really are rather good. It is a bit of an expensive experiment to try them out but after frustrations with XTR and CB I'm glad I made the jump :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm 
Shop Owner

I use xtr and like them but when weight matters I also really like the bebop ti.

Fair Wheel Blog

Friend me on Facebook for behind the scenes updates

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm 
Shop Owner

I love my Beebops :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:59 pm 

Beebop were on my list to replace the XTR, however my knees really don't get on with that huge amount of float.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:44 am 

Anyone know if Bebop is still 'afloat' :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 pm 

Yes, Bebop pedals are still being made. The design/patents/brand were bought by VP-One from the founder and production was moved from the US to Asia, but that is super old news (6 or more years) by now. VP-One still makes them, they just seem to do an exceptionally bad job of marketing them. I had some of the originals on my MTB back in the 90s and after a couple of spectacular failures of the pedal body I got rid of them. I just picked up a new set a few months ago figuring I would give them a shot again, this time on the road. The design has been improved since my last bad experience, and road use will clearly be less taxing, but the main reason I got them is because I am running the "midfoot" cleat position, where I have drilled my shoes out with new fittings under the arch area. This is much easier to do with a 2-bolt SPD style cleat interface than a 3-bolt road one, and bebops are about the only super low stack height, lightweight, 2-bolt design out there.

So far they are OK. The shoe pedal interface is not up to large platform road pedal levels of security, but compared to the SPD mountain pedals I was running previously they are actually quite stable. The float is super low friction, like a Speedplay so they have that "walking on ice" feel at first, and they use a wide release angle, rather than a high amount of tension, to hold you in. For MTB I prefer XTR as I tend to pre-release when applying body english to the bike unless I have the tension maxed out to really lock the cleat in.

From a WW perspective, Bebops are super light, ti spindles are available on ebay for cheap, and I suspect the cleats have a good potential for being "tuned" to reduce weight further, but don't expect SPD levels of entry/exit security.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:13 pm 

I know about the VP-One buy out, I was asking because their website/forum/social media etc hasn't been touched for years now! They also seem to be far less available than only a year or so ago :noidea:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

If it comes to performance and reliabilty XTR 970 and 980 pedals are the best i had many others and nothing can beat them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 pm 

@jooo: Yeah, the Bebop web presence really is comically out of date. It would be interesting to see if all of VP-One's products are getting a similar (bad) treatment, or if Bebop is kind of their red headed stepchild.

Regarding availability, North American based consumers can have their LBS order them through SBS (Seattle Bike Supply), but they surely don't have the wide distribution that the big boys have. I have also seen them on Ebay and Amazon, but you are totally right, they don't seem to be getting a lot of support from retailers either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm 

Time Atac all the way, having tried all Time Atac models (XS, Titanium, carbon) as well as Crank Brothers 2ti and Candy, and XTR and XT in Shimano ... I always go back to my trusted Time Atac`s:
Engagement Feeling - far superior to Crank Brothers and Shimano
Floatiness/Firmness - way better than Crank Brother (really bad) and slightly worst to Shimano - understanding firmness is good for cross country
Mud Clearence - Superior to Shimano and on par or slightly better than Crank Brothers
Durability - Much better than Crank Brothers or Shimano

Talking to all my hard riding buddies and racers, that have had all sorts of brands, once they go time atac they never went back!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 pm 

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the PD-m980s. The aluminium body wears down too fast for my liking. Maybe I should change the soles on my S-Works shoes, but still. They seem very soft. They also don't shed mud very well.

I'm hoping for a revision within reasonable time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:58 pm 

Quote:
I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the PD-m980s. The aluminium body wears down too fast for my liking. Maybe I should change the soles on my S-Works shoes, but still. They seem very soft. They also don't shed mud very well.

I'm hoping for a revision within reasonable time.

Completely agree, I was rather let down having given them a try after so many positive reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 pm 

I think they got a lot of great reviews before people had actually used them for a while. So the reviews were probably based mostly on the 970 version IMO.

The Eggbeaters may have become better, since they changed a few years back. But they still seem to have a bad reputation, maybe because of the previous version (so a bit like the XTRs, but maybe opposite).

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next