Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

neilyoung123

by neilyoung123

Also sorry forgot to mention - The question I asked Xpedo was can you use XTR M970 /980 cleats with the Xpedo pedals and the answer was yes !! However they do recommend there own ones but still compapitable.

dugster10

by dugster10

My experience is mostly from what sponsors gave me and that was with the Candy SL and Eggbeater sets from Crank Bros. Generally, I found that they were great for 1-2 seasons of hard racing, but with a lot of use, especially in mud, the bearings got rough and the spindles loosened up quite a bit.

In the future I might try SPD's because I've heard good things and believe they might prove to be more lasting.

Times are also tempting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Probably a stupid question, but were you using the post-2011 version?

DanW

by DanW

I have used the post-2011 eggbeaters and found very little improvement. Yes the 2 sealed bearings are better than one bushing, one bearing but the springs still worked loose and sloppy and play still developed in the axles. Basically, they got far too sloppy to be nice to use after 3-6 muddy British muddy months

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks a lot for that info! Much appreciated :)

It seems the perfect pedal hasn't been invented yet...

mattr

by mattr

the_marsbar wrote:It seems the perfect pedal hasn't been invented yet...
Except for the time ATAC of course.

:wink:

DanW

by DanW

Except for the time ATAC of course. :wink:

Or the Xpedo XMF08TT if you want the same functional benefits of Time but not the heavy bricks on the end of your cranks :D

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Went for xpedo m force 8 but couldn't find the Ti ones in the UK - ended up getting off eBay from Australia (I'm in the UK) last Monday evening. Just arrived! I think I have waited longer for stuff from Wiggle!!!

leugene

by leugene

DanW wrote:
Except for the time ATAC of course. :wink:

Or the Xpedo XMF08TT if you want the same functional benefits of Time but not the heavy bricks on the end of your cranks :D

Cmon, top Time with ti axles and carbon body just 40g heavier than these, but off course pricier.

DanW

by DanW

Fair enough :D The latest Atac 12's do look nice although they are double the price

konky

by konky

Claimed weight of respective top models -

Time 241g
Xpedo 215g

=26g difference

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Bit out of left field this question, but along the same lines. Which lightweight pedal would you choose for a commuter bike? When I say commuter bike I'm meaning a pedal where I can walk about in my mtb shoes without the cleats protruding such as I can do with my XTR's. It would need to be all weather but obviously not an awful lot of mud around! :D I currently use XTR's but thought that there may be something a little more 'exotic' and most likely lighter?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Any of the Shimano SPD series are about as good as it gets for walkability. XTR's are about as good as it gets in that regard. Other than that, Shimano makes 2 models of pedal that have large platforms as well as SPD cleats and can be used with cleats or with non-cycling shoes. While they don't work quite as nicely with cleats (sometimes insertion is harder), they have the benefit of being able to be ridden with non-biking shoes.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Benno

by Benno

Exotic and good function simply doesn't exist currently, hence this thread lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xc71

by xc71

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:Bit out of left field this question, but along the same lines. Which lightweight pedal would you choose for a commuter bike? When I say commuter bike I'm meaning a pedal where I can walk about in my mtb shoes without the cleats protruding such as I can do with my XTR's. It would need to be all weather but obviously not an awful lot of mud around! :D I currently use XTR's but thought that there may be something a little more 'exotic' and most likely lighter?

Compared to XTR Stephen, these are exotic and alot lighter while still using SPD cleat ( although I run the Ti or brass cleats with these pedals )
Exustar PM28Ti = 185 grams for the pair.
Magnesium body
CNC machined Titanium axle
Cartridge bearings
Titanium clamp mechanism
Fits Shimano cleats
I tired to post a scale pic, but won't let me post pics.