Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stuka666

by stuka666

Dan, I'll be buying some xpedos in the future, will mail them to you if they are rubish :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Let's hope you find them rubbish then! :D

Sefton, the engaging and disengaging of pedals is subtley different between brands. I would persevere as very often things that feel different on the bike initially aren't "wrong" but just "different". Also play around with the firmness of the retention/ cleat engagement as there is a big range of adjustment on the Xpedos.

sefton

by sefton

the thing I like about time is that the surface is smooth so the foot can simply be slid forward until your in.

the epedo's have more edges so you can't just slide forward (you have to be a little more precise)

but I appreciate what your saying and it will take time to get used to them (I just worry when racing - after a quick remount when you have a split second to clip in and keep momentum).

will the xpedo cleats work just as well with shimano pedals?

DanW

by DanW

I'd assume so since I'm using Shimano cleats with Xpedo pedals.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have a couple rides on the Xpedo XMF08TT. So far I like them.
Had to loosen up the entry release slightly but that is it.
I came from XTR 980- bearing/spindles kept going bad on XTR.
Xpedo are 90 grams lighter!

Dandegroot32

by Dandegroot32

Are XTR worth the extra cost?

efeballi

by efeballi

Compared to what? Compared to a lower level Shimano pedal, no.
Compared to any non-SPD system, yes. (Look s-track, time atac etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

boots2000

by boots2000

Anyone want a set of lightly used Xpedo Mountain Force 8 pedals?
I have some in the classified ads-

CGT

by CGT

How come you want to sell them? Some aspect you didn't like about them?

weenie

by weenie

DanW wrote:MTB XC and Marathon since June last year, including lots of horrible miles through British mud (the main downside of the XTR I wanted to like). My thoughts from throughout the thread about the Xpedos's haven't changed and they continue to be faultless. Easily the best on the market IMO (previous pedals are Time Attac, CB Eggbeaters, XTR, Look) and no compromises in any aspect. No reason why they shouldn't be awesome for CX too.

what do you like better with the xpedos vs the time atacs?

DanW

by DanW

Hey Weenie,

I think I covered this earlier on in the thread but things that spring to mind about Time ATAC are retention bars that eat expensive CF soles, cleats that last no time at all, pretty heavy at a given price point, non-adjustable spring tension and non-adjustable Q-factor (cleats or axles)... the design is functionally pretty good and they were the standard to be judged by 5-10 years ago but there are other options now that offer more. As in the quote from your post, I feel that for me the Xpedo offer everything with no compromise whereas the other pedals offer most things with a little compromise. Your conditions and needs may vary of course but they have suited me really, really well.

Cheers :beerchug:

Edit to answer the Q below: I don't want to labour the point too much as I've written about the Xpedo a lot and sound like a proper fan boi but they are faultless in mud. Time ATAC doesn't hold any advantage at all over Xpedo in mud and we have a ton of horrible gritty, claggy mud here in the UK :D
Last edited by DanW on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

weenie

by weenie

Ha well those are all good points :)

I think I prefer the time atacs despite the compromises it has. Better mud clearance ("auto clean") in sticky mud and easier to get into.
But yeah... they could def. work on the weight, more adjustments, etc. I think the cleats are fine tho. last me a year/year and a half with daily use. I would def. like the xpedos in drier weather.