Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

seismic

by seismic

Just bought the Look S-Track Carbon Ti since I was tired of the weight of the XTR and likewise tired of Eggbeaters breaking down. Love the Look pedal. Lightweight, easy to use and reliable. Looks good as well ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fattrucker

by Fattrucker

seismic wrote:I was tired of the weight of the XTR

. . . . . seriously ?????

PMSL

seismic

by seismic

Fattrucker wrote:
seismic wrote:I was tired of the weight of the XTR

. . . . . seriously ?????

PMSL

Yes, seriously. Trying to put together a WW XC MTB, the weight of the XTR pedals does not fit in well. That said, it is of course an ok pedal, but it would be nice if Shimano could make it loose a few grams :D

trackdawson

by trackdawson

Does anyone have any time on the Ritchey WCS paradigm? They weigh a little more than the MF08TT's but I have an older set of Ritchey pedals that I love are pretty bombproof (heavy). The aluminum body worries me some for long term durability on the paradigms.

craggle427

by craggle427

I did ask about Ritchey pedals back on page 3 but no one answered.

I have the Paradigm V5's, Not the WCS versions but I find them perfectly good. They are as positive as the Shimano pedals on my other bike and they seem well built and lighter than the Shimano versions to boot.

The bearings inside the pedals are sealed bearings races and the clips on the outside are steel so the aluminium body simply holds the bits together and aluminium is strong enough for that.
I say go for it, I haven't yet been disappointed with mine.

Craig.

vfb

by vfb

I have the Ritchey paradigm pedals, and have ridden them for around a season. They work well and you can use shimano cleats with them, which in my eyes is a bonus. They work like the xtr pedals, sometimes they can be a tad harder to clip in than the xtr pedals. But not anything you will notice after the first clip, for me it is not an issue unless i have to do an eliminator race.

They came with very little grease in them, and they creaked a bit until i re greased them. Since that i have ridden them with zero issues, they seem durable and works like they have to do :D

Before that i have ridden shimano pedals and about 4 years ago, i changed to crank brothers. But after 4 years on them i got tired of changing pedals 3 times a year. I know about CB and their durability, and they were getting their service, but i still broke them. They simply just broke. Then a buddy of mine treated me a pair of xtr pedals for some other stuff. And even tough i am not a big fan of shimano i haven`t looked back since then.
On my race bike i don`t want anything from shimano, and it has to be light so i came acros the Ritchey pedals and they are awesome!
I ride for fun

trackdawson

by trackdawson

Thanks for the replies. I was mostly concerned about pedal to rock strikes with an aluminum body. However, the point is now moot since I picked up a pair of Ti Xpedos from jejamescycles. I apologize for the late response iphone does not want to log me in to the site :( .
Happy trails.

efeballi

by efeballi

As a former MTB'er, I used Shimano M540's for more than a year. Rebuilt just before I retired them, were still turning and clipping flawlessly.
AFAIK the M520 and M540 have steel bodies which may alleviate wear concerns with the XTR.
Also in my opinion the XTR isn't necessary at all, unless you're after 50 grams.

Also Shimano pedals can open beercaps. Big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

M540s may be fine for the winter bike, or as a spare pedal. But they still have the annoying problem, that when Shimano cleats are just a bit worn, there's an annoying amount of slack in the pedal-cleat interface IMHO. And by a bit worn I mean a few months old.

efeballi

by efeballi

Never noticed. I was using silver cleats, maybe black ones do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have used Shimano SPD pedals on both my MtB and road bikes for years. The cleats last a very long time and they never slowed me down on the road.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

According to this, the silver cleats can be released by an upwards pull. No thanks :)

DanW

by DanW

Shimano cleats are the longest lasting I have used (CB the worst!) but when used with XTR 985 pedals there is definitely and "icy" connection. This gets even worse in the wet and mud but using the same cleats with the Xpedo Ti pedals gives a much more solid pedal-shoe interface even when wet. I tried lots of different shoes with the XTR pedals just in case the tread needed to be taller to grip the pedal body better but still got the icy feel. Xpedo was great with all shoes- no idea why this difference exists but it does

DanW

by DanW

Double post- sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

the_marsbar wrote:According to this, the silver cleats can be released by an upwards pull. No thanks :)
shimano multi release cleats, one of their rare mistakes.