Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

afalts

by afalts

I'll expand more on my previous post with some of my experience.

I currently have two sets of shoes/pedals. Both shoes are Shimano m315's, one for XTR's the other for eggbeaters. I only use the eggbeaters when there is mud on the course and a chance of dabbing. When it is dry and dusty the XTR's. Feel way more connected to the bike with XTR. I have broken too many xpedos (ti axle only) and looks (just garbage...) to trust them any more - well, at least 3 years ago... Only ever broken one pair of eggbeaters and it was the 'C' model from years ago that was on a beater bike so who know's what it had been through. I had some Time's but never found the engagement too positive - I have my XTR's cranked all the way down btw.

@Benno, I bet it is your shoe. A lot of shoe's have that problem if the lugs are too deep. Try trimming them down a little. They had a couple lemon's re the seals and were well aware and would warranty them

Benno

by Benno

Well I won't have to worry about it anymore because I retired those shoes and pedals. So I'll be on an XC90 shoe and will try it on the 980 trail pedal before making my final WW pedal choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

craggle427

by craggle427

Surprised no one has mentioned Ritchey Pro V5 Paradigm pedals yet?

I have a set fitted on my Kona and find them pretty good, smooth running and fairly predictable clipping and releasing. Lighter than XTR pedals too and not too expensive.

Any thoughts on these, are they a disaster waiting to happen?

Craig.

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

Get yourself some awesome S-track pedals from look.

Great product, very light and light!

Xtr from shimano for Heavy but great durability. Look and shimano over crankbrither

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intesity

by Intesity

One pedal Exustar, light reliable easy in easy out the E-PM215 is 280 grams for the pair and they have a titanium version at 230 gr the pair . you can buy them on ebay or there usa store .

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

Xtr's are great. But for $84 dollars you can get the SPD style Sampson rock and weighs 16 grams less than XTR.

Benno

by Benno

So far I am liking what I read about the Xpedo 8 Ti. Even if they are ugly.

devinci

by devinci

Just my experience here.

My crankbrother egg beater 3 have 2 seasons with lots of hours on them and are still spinning smooth.

I have bought some look s-track this season and after riding them for 2 weeks I developped some major knee pain in both knees, I switched back to egg beater. My looks are now collecting dust. The little amount of float was'nt for me.

mattr

by mattr

The problem with egg beaters is that for every "mine have run for a million miles with no maintenance and add 50 watts to my threshold power" there appear to be half a dozen "failed after 300 meters and ate my first born"

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Yea, the reliability of the eggbeaters is definitely in question. They are still the best in major mud, but I don't ride when it is that muddy, it ruins the trails. I did do one race last year that was a total mud fest and my SPD's were very ineffective. They clogged up early and stayed clogged the entire race.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

devinci

by devinci

are you guys sure there are that much egg beater issue with the latest models, say, from 2010 onwards?

mattr

by mattr

There are still issues, not so sure if there as many.
AFAIK We've had two failures in our club this year. (Only half a dozen users tho)

devinci

by devinci

Ok

mine are really spinning free and smooth. I though of buying a rebuild kit but the pedals are already 2 years old, I might just buy new pedals instead.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

More people with experience with Xpedo's pedals? I'm thinking about getting some.

neilyoung123

by neilyoung123

Hi guys - new to the forum - Just wanted to say I have been using the Xpedo M Force 8 TI (the ones suggested earlier) and they are fantastic.... Previously used the M970 and M980 XTR's the xpedo's are just as good, lighter, Titanium.. and look fantastic plus they don't mark when your clipping in and out as they TI.. Would highly recommend. Plus I sent a question to them before buying and got a response within 24 hours that's customer service..

Buy them !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com