Sram type 2 short cage on double

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

quattrings

by quattrings

After this winter a lot of worn gear is getting replaced and upgraded. seeking more ground clearance (which I've always found a touch inadequate) and a smoother drivetrain,

The Cannondale Flash is getting 650's and hollowgram Si's. Currently I like 27/40 rings with a 11-28 cassette.
Due to the larger circumference of the wheels, smaller chainrings are gonna be installed (even better ground clearance :exactly: ) . 24/36 setup sounds great because it not a big drop in teeth and should shift brilliantly.

To improve rear shifting and chain stability a Sram XO type 2 derailler sounds like the way to go. A short cage is my preference (again ground clearance, crisper shifting?), I know they recommend the short cage for single ring setups, but with the setup as described above I'd have 29 tooth capacity. Sram seems reluctant to put a number on tooth capacity, as I've not found this information.
As a reference Shimano Zee and Saint clutch type deraillers have a 25t capacity, so if crosschaining never occurs even those should funtion well I presume.
Could this potentially work or am I gonna have better shift quality with a medium cage?

Signed,
Completely on the fence :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chello

by Chello

QBP lists short cage as having a 30t capacity. Couldn't find info anywhere else to confirm though.

Colin

by Colin

With a cassette that small you'll be fine!
To be honest, I could never tell a difference when I switched my old bike to a short cage, so I wouldn't expect the shifting to be that much crisper. The type 2 rear derailleur will be a nice improvement though!

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

With that cassette you will be fine, if running anything bigger than a 32 or maybe 34, then you should go to medium cage

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

does anyone know,how much weight sram x7 type 2 short cage?? Is it possible that its lighter than x9 T2??