First Post ... Formula R1 ... Removing red anodized plug

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Has anybody tried to remove the big red anodized plug from the inboard side of a Formula R1 Brake caliper, i.e. this bit ?

I would really like to anodize the part a different colour and need to know which tool is best (due to funky shape) and whether it was a complete nightmare or a piece of cake

Thanks in advance.

Si.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

If it is like most brakes, you just need the 5 sided tool and it should screw right out. But you will probably need an overhaul kit since the brake fluid will run out and while you are anodizing it, the seals might dry up and probably get contaminated too. This is going to be a heck of a lot of work for that little bit. Why not just get a black Sharpie marker and color it or paint it with black paint?
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

All R1 color combinations come from a guy in Italy thet sells the sets on ebay.it I can PM you his email, so maybe you could purchase this part anodized black if that's what you need, or he could do a different color for you. Who knows.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

moten

by moten

I have done on my brakes. I made the little tool at work and it came right out. The reason for doing this was to anodize the caliber gold and the cap black so it fit my Scott Scale LTD. you have to be aware of that it is a nightmare to bleed them afterwards as they have been completely empty of fluid.

Enjoy your work.

Morten Nørgaard
braking is the first sign of fear!!!!!

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Cheers for the replies guys, I try to answer each individually !!!

yourdaguy wrote:If it is like most brakes, you just need the 5 sided tool and it should screw right out. But you will probably need an overhaul kit since the brake fluid will run out and while you are anodizing it, the seals might dry up and probably get contaminated too. This is going to be a heck of a lot of work for that little bit. Why not just get a black Sharpie marker and color it or paint it with black paint?

I probably will colour it in with a black marker, the other red bolts on the caliper and master cylinder / brake lever are easy to remove and will be anodized in green, I really wanted to get this part green as well but it might be a bit too much of a hassle to do, I don;t want to wreck my new brakes !!!

krzysiekmz wrote:All R1 color combinations come from a guy in Italy thet sells the sets on ebay.it I can PM you his email, so maybe you could purchase this part anodized black if that's what you need, or he could do a different color for you. Who knows.

Chris.

I did order these brakes from the guy in Italy (clood69 on Italian eBay) because I wanted the white R1 with carbon levers, I just can't get green anodized ones to replace the red bits.

moten wrote:I have done on my brakes. I made the little tool at work and it came right out. The reason for doing this was to anodize the caliber gold and the cap black so it fit my Scott Scale LTD. you have to be aware of that it is a nightmare to bleed them afterwards as they have been completely empty of fluid.

Enjoy your work.
Morten Nørgaard

Was it very tight / hard to remove ? I may be able to get the tool I need through a mechanic I know, in which case it may be worth doing. I don't think you can buy the tool and I don;t want to damage the brake removing it. Maybe a job for when it is too cold and frozen to ride in UK.

If not I will get a magic marker and colour it black. I did also think about using some green nail varnish but that will only add weight :roll:

Thanks again guys, knowing that someone has done it might make me have a go myself.

moten

by moten

No they were quite easy to remove. When I did it I placed the caliber in between 2 vices and unscrewed it with a wrench.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

moten wrote:No they were quite easy to remove. When I did it I placed the caliber in between 2 vices and unscrewed it with a wrench.

Do you know if I can buy the tool or will I have to get one made ?

Many thanks again,

Simon.

moten

by moten

Hi Simon.
I don´tknow if you can buy anywhere. I´ve just checked if I still had the drawing and the program on my computer because then would I have made one for you, but unfortunately everything has been deleted.

I´ll try to find it somewhere and if I find i´ll let you know.

Best regards

Morten Nørgaard

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Many thanks Morten ... I would really like to get the correct tool as I don;t want to damage the brake caliper.

Thanks

Simon.

Benno

by Benno

You can also use a really large allen key. Fits in well enough to extract/install because it is such a low torque piece.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Benno wrote:You can also use a really large allen key. Fits in well enough to extract/install because it is such a low torque piece.

Cheers Benno, I'll give that a go.

Si.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Little update in case anyone is interested ... You can buy the tool for removing the star wrench bolt as sown above from http://r2-bike.com/Formula-R1-Bremssattelwerkzeug_1 and it looks like this.

02GF74

by 02GF74

just about to ask the same question ....

the link to the tool below does not appear to be working - are you able to find it again?

It appears to be made from resin/plastic so I am wondering it is is possible to make ones own using the plug as the mould - use something like thin cling film then pack the recess with epoxy/chopped fibre glass mat.

Simonhi wrote:Little update in case anyone is interested ... You can buy the tool for removing the star wrench bolt as sown above from http://r2-bike.com/Formula-R1-Bremssattelwerkzeug_1 and it looks like this.

cerro

by cerro

Also interested in the tool. Got a pair of new blue caps but can't get the old ones out :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

I want one too! Anybody?