Lightest chainring for XX1?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

jooo wrote:
And look at the weight difference, pretty hard to make up for that with a spiderless ring:

Yep, even if you subtract the spider from the M3 and add chainring bolts.

Who woulda thunk actual research beats guessing. Good job.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

DanW

by DanW

My Hollowgram SiSL2 (172.5) with spider, xx1 chainring (32) and axle weighed 459g

My light, budget version is FSA K-Force Light crank (464g, £150, CRC), Absolute Black 32T Ring (36g, £42), Alu Bolts (6g, £5). 506g, £197.

Just for completeness the BB is ~50g and came with the crank. Approximately 556g for under £200 for cranks, chain ring, bolts and BB.

Hard to beat for value I think and lighter/ cheaper than SRAM XX1 cranks with a direct mount ring as far as I am aware which was the only other consideration I had within a reasonable budget. I did fancy Hollowgrams but there is no way I could justify saving 40-50g for £600 or more difference. Budget aside, I would love Hollowgrams :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Australia

by Australia

DanW wrote:
My Hollowgram SiSL2 (172.5) with spider, xx1 chainring (32) and axle weighed 459g

My light, budget version is FSA K-Force Light crank (464g, £150, CRC), Absolute Black 32T Ring (36g, £42), Alu Bolts (6g, £5). 506g, £197.

Just for completeness the BB is ~50g and came with the crank. Approximately 556g for under £200 for cranks, chain ring, bolts and BB.

Hard to beat for value I think and lighter/ cheaper than SRAM XX1 cranks with a direct mount ring as far as I am aware which was the only other consideration I had within a reasonable budget. I did fancy Hollowgrams but there is no way I could justify saving 40-50g for £600 or more difference. Budget aside, I would love Hollowgrams :D

Hey DanW,

Any chance you could shoot me/post some links (CRC/whatever) for your budget/lightweight set up. I'd love to replicate it!

Cheers,

Andrew

TALEO

by TALEO

i love my m3's