Lightest chainring for XX1?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

seismic

by seismic

Dear All,

I am in the process of changing to XX1 and in that connection I am looking for what would be the lightest chainring around to fit the XX1 system. I contacted FibreLyte, but they do not have a chainring fitting with the XX1 cranks. So, If I want something light, do any of you know what my best alternative is?

Thank you

seismic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

My take will be Absolute black direct mount chainring (spiderless) or something similar. This way you are getting a lighter chainring and no spider, which should make the whole setup lighter.

Look here: http://absoluteblack.cc/sram-spiderless.html

Stefan

vfb

by vfb

Race Face, mine came in at 37g 32 104mm bcd.

If it is for direct mount i think absolute black is the lightest, i have just ordered one for my training bike :-)
I ride for fun

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

If you're trying to save weight there, why not go for something like the new Race Face Next SL crank with the direct mount spiderless ring? I'd trust their ring over the Absolute black one since its a narrow-wide design, and the setup will be over 100g lighter than the XX1 crank.

limba

by limba

Yup. Just get the whole Race Face crankset if you can afford it.

seismic

by seismic

Hmmm, I was thinking Clavicula M3. Will RF beat it on weight looking at a BB30 setup?

si1ver
Shop Owner

by si1ver

The best way to save weight at crank will be to go with Hollowgram SiSL2 For BB30 .

seismic

by seismic

si1ver wrote:The best way to save weight at crank will be to go with Hollowgram SiSL2 For BB30 .

Can that beat the Clavicula M3?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

My Hollowgram SiSL2 (172.5) with spider, xx1 chainring (32) and axle weighed 459g. Spider, chainring, and bolts contributed 80g, spider alone was 27g, ring+bolts was 53g.

R2 bike claim 393g for Clavicula M3 (not sure which length) with spider but no ring so that's about 13g lighter than the Cannondale.

RaceFace with a direct mount 32h ring is 462g according to a poster on MTBR who bought one. (Ring weighed 68g)

Another light BB30 option is the Specialized Sworks which is 363g for the arms in 175mm and are pretty cheap compared to Hollowgram and M3.

There's not a lot to choose weight-wise between these, so I'd pick based on function, durability, look, warranty, cost. The RF and Clavicula have the nice feature of mechanical adjustment for the BB rather than relying on a wave-washer setup like Cannondale & Specialized. RF and Sworks only come in 170 or 175 though, so if you want 172.5... you have M3 or SiSL2.

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

The Absolute Black looks nice but I've heard the chain retention isn't as good as the other ones. With saying that I would go with the Race Face for the extra couple grams and better chain retention.

cerro

by cerro

dwaharvey: Bottom bracket for Hollowgram at 48g is a lot lighter than the >80g bottom bracket for Clavicula M3. So think bottom bracket have to be included to compared weights. But what spindle do you have for your Hollowgram SiSl2?

I'm aiming for <478g for my Hollowgram SL with 34t Carbon-ti chainring and including bottom bracket. :)

jooo

by jooo

I guess in dwaharvey's case the BB is basically the same weight - threaded 30mm cups for both THM and SiSL.

Even if you have the heaviest BB option, a Clavicula DP with an Extralite ring and bolts is still pretty much the lightest combo AFAIK.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure that THM M3 arms with a Fibre Lyte spider-less chainring will be hard to beat.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Maybe, maybe not? It's also somewhat irrelevant to the discussion without the XX1 tooth profile I guess.

And look at the weight difference, pretty hard to make up for that with a spiderless ring: