2x10 front derailleur on 2x9 gearing,is it work??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I have a 2x10 sram xx front derailleur,but i would like to go to 2x9 gearing,so my question is,is it work?? Is this a big problem to have 10speed front derailleur with 9speed chain?? I have to say,that i can use it with an old sram gripshift so i can move the derailleur a bit on the lower or on the highest gears.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

With careful seting up (as always) it'll work fine

sstefanov

by sstefanov

It will work, as I have been running similar setup (10 speed XTR front) with 9 speed chain some time ago. Now I run 10 speed chain on 9 speed cassette and all is well. The 10 speed chain (KMC X10-SL), because it is lighter ;-)

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Sorry guys,i make a mistake,I have 8 speed cassette(just too many years of riding with 9sp). So,how about that?? Will or wont work?

mattr

by mattr

You are getting closer to not working. 8 speed chains are wider than 9 (and 10) so you may be getting into modifying the front mech cage to fit over the chain and make the shift without rubbing.

Also, if you are using an 8 speed chainset modified to a double, you may find the throw of the 10 speed front mech might not be quite enough (depending on if you are using an 8 speed compatible front shifter. Some combinations work some won't. If its a 10 speed (or 9) chainset, it might work better. You could also try a 9 speed chain to gain some space.

All said and done, if you are willing to spend some time tinkering you should be able to get it to function acceptably.
(i've got an "impossible" set up to work, a mish-mash of road, mtb, triple, double, 8 and 9 speed)

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

So,using 9speed chain on 8speed cassette is better idea than 8/8 set?? Is 9 speed chain working good on 8speed cassette??

mattr

by mattr

In my experience you can safely (i.e. it still works ok) use a slightly narrower chain, so a 9 speed chain on 8 speed cassette will work, same using a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette and so on.
The issue is at the front. What chainset/rings/shifter will you use?

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

If I'll use 9speed chain I'm gonna use 9speed chainrings,probably shimano,or truvativ 42/26T.

mattr

by mattr

You'll probably manage fine then, just some tweaking of the top and bottom stops.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Thanks!:)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Definitely you can run a 9-spd chain on an 8-spd cassette. I'm doing it and it shifts better for it.

The 9-spd chain will be slightly wider outside than a 10-spd - approx 0.6mm, so as the others say most 10-spd FD's are probably going to be fine. Perhaps a little more finicky to set up, but will work.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I thinking about X.0 on front

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Shimano low mount are one of the lightest you'll find, a Deore triple is just 156g and a double specific 124g, not sure about the X0 but that is lighter than an X9 (175g for a triple) by a margin and much cheaper.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Maybe you're right,but in my frame i have direct mount only:) so x0 is one of the lightest (xx is only lighter). I think my bike shoul be ready in next week,so i will give you an answer is everything is ok with gearing.