27.5 wheels & General build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

Hello guys!

so, its time again! Im getting this bike:
http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/produ ... -900-rc-m/

I've had the bike on weight, in a sice medium, and its 9kg. so, I would like to get it down to sub 8kg or just under,

what is the right thing to do, i guess wheels but which? I've heard alot about Carbon wheels these days, i've seen the new Valor from Stan's, but seems to be in feature, what is out there which is awesome and kinda affortable?

Should I change handlebars? Friend of mine told me that WCS bars were quite heavy but what would be an alternative?

I will put PowerCordz cable for shifter, and S-Track TI pedals on the bike, Also thinking about doing a complete Titanium Screw setup for the whole bike.... soo Weenies out there, What would my total weight of this build be, if I put on some sub. 1300g wheels on w. Tubeless setup???

Cant wait for suggestions / answers

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Why would you put 650b wheels on a 29er?

You can get the weights of most the WCS bits off the Ritchey webby, or you can remove and weigh, but they don't tend to be the lightest, what to get depends on the budget.

Foam grips will be at least 60g off for next to no money!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Just FYI, the Scott website says it comes with Serfas silicone grips, which are claimed to weigh 55g. So unless you know of grips that weigh -5g, you won't be saving 60g there! :lol:
Did you link to the wrong bike? Are you sure you didn't mean to link to the Scale 700 (650b) RC?
Those wheels aren't bad by any means, you'll have to spend quite a bit of money to upgrade them. Most of the Stan's wheels would be a downgrade, IMO.
The handle bar and stem could both be swapped for something a tad lighter, but you'd be spending big money for little savings.
So after swapping the wheels, bar, seatpost, ti bolts, and powercordz, you might be able to drop ~300g. But honestly, I think that's probably a stretch.
If you really wanted to get it to 8kg, change the fork to a lefty, and get some of of the new Tune carbon rims laced to extralite or mack hubs. Then do all of the other things (bolts, powercordz, bar, saddle, seatpost, etc.).

It's a nice bike, ride the hell out of it.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Colin wrote:Just FYI, the Scott website says it comes with Serfas silicone grips, which are claimed to weigh 55g. So unless you know of grips that weigh -5g, you won't be saving 60g there! :lol:

Still a cheap way to save 35g!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

boots2000

by boots2000

My problem with the Scott bikes is that if I purchased a complete bike I would need to change/replace too many items.
I would change bar, stem, saddle, seatpost, grips, and wheels at the very least.

mattr

by mattr

Same with any stock bike really. Unless you start looking at those priced at the $8-10000 range.
In which case its far cheaper to buy one for 2/3rds of that and then upgrade, "bar, stem, saddle, seatpost, grips, and wheels at the very least."
Then end up with some bits to sell, and a lighter/better bike that is near as damn it to your exact specification......

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

Thanks for the replies!

YES, the link is defanetly wrong! I have a 700 RC in my shop that I will grap when I sell my bike this coming monday! :)

I understand what ya'll saying with the weight loss, but I wanna see if I can get some tubular wheels for races, change stem, handlebar, grips, bolts and to powercordz...

This is a project! and my first real one cause my 900 RC is / was pretty much stock setup, except Stan's wheels.

What do you think the wheels weight is on the 700 RC? and the syncross carbon wheels, will there really be a huge difference from them, to the ones on the bike? Cause I can get some of those if I like... The great things about working in a bike shop....

Alejandro8100

by Alejandro8100

mattr wrote:Same with any stock bike really. Unless you start looking at those priced at the $8-10000 range.
In which case its far cheaper to buy one for 2/3rds of that and then upgrade, "bar, stem, saddle, seatpost, grips, and wheels at the very least."
Then end up with some bits to sell, and a lighter/better bike that is near as damn it to your exact specification......

I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that end up with some bits to sell, and a lighter/better bike that is near as damn it to your exact specification.
Alejandro
"Everything is ok"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com