Weight on different gear systems + brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Hi!

I am building a new bike, but im not sure what gear system and brakes is the lightest I can afford?
Im looking at XT level brakes, rear mech, gear shifter and cassette.
I have already bought a XT set, but I have put it on my AM bike instead, so I need a new set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Im pretty sure you could get lighter for the same money going with sram stuff. Depends how much you want to save weight and how you like your braking and shifting. I have been frustrated by sram in the last few months, I wont go sram next year. I will build my bike all shimano xtr despite the weight penalty

robgall13

by robgall13

Probably SRAM X9, same as XT but a bit lighter. Avid brakes are very light but have a bad reputation. Ashima PCB brakes are extremely light, but it seems people either hate them or rate them.

Looks for deals on ebay and on bike forums if you don't mind waiting, just got to be patient.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

I was thinking 650$ on the stuff i listed. rear derailleur, rear shifter, casette, chain, front brake + rear brake.

I have no problems with Avid brakes on my AM bike, i just adjust them for max power, and dont care if they are scrubbing.. On my XC bike, they have to work when soaked in mud water, rubbin as little as possible!

EDIT: I think i want to try Ashima brakes! I was following them when they first came out.. Alot of trouble, and small clearence made me forget about them. but now, maybe they are fixed? I like the design and weight anyhow!

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Sram X0 is within my budget if i buy Ashima brakes..
Sram PG1070 kasette and Sram PC1071, is this the correct chain and kasette for X0 ?

devinci

by devinci

no, the sram Xo cassette is almost the same price as sram XX, i-e 250-350$.

Whatever chain you like. I prefer KMC x10sl

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

devinci

by devinci

yep kind of

FWIW I had an XO cassette. It is forged in a block of metal, it is very light and nice. I rode maybe 5 times on it and I managed to somehow break 2 theeth on the 32 sproket. Never will I ride such a cassette again. XTR it will be

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Here is a picture of the casette.. I have had problems with the casette digging into the boss before..
This must be the case with this casette aswell? I have an aluminum boss..

lincoln

by lincoln

Skorp wrote:Sram X0 is within my budget if i buy Ashima brakes..
Sram PG1070 kasette and Sram PC1071, is this the correct chain and kasette for X0 ?

A lot of bikes specced with X0 ran the 1070. Hence the "kinda" comment.

planB

by planB

I found the 36t cog on my SRAM XO cassettes wore too quick for my tastes. I was rotating between two wheelsets and after a season they were both badly worn. Part way into the next season the 36 was unusable... The rest of the cassette seemed fine. For some, a season out of a cogset may be okay, but I tend to easily get two seasons out of XT cassettes so I see no reason to go SRAM again. Currently on XTR cogs and they have now exceeded the lifespan of the XO cassettes as well.

02GF74

by 02GF74

wow - re pic of XX cassette- not surprising it digs into the freehub body having so narrow a width of splines....

cerro

by cerro

Buy XTcassette instead of PG1070, lighter. Sram cassettes is only lighter in X.0 and XX version, otherwise Shimano. Gearing Sram is lighter I think. chain is KMC X10SL all the way as long as you're not riding a Absolute Black chainring then

socratease

by socratease

XT cassette is pretty damn nice.

If you're willing to splash out the kind of money where you're considering an X0 cassette, X01 works tremendously well if you can get by losing a high and low gear from a double, but you won't be finding any deals on it.

If every penny counts, I think the SLX brakes are pretty even in terms of performance and weight compared to X0. Magura MT-2s are the best deal as far as weight vs price vs stopping power.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com